Chapter 26

An hour later I was changed into a comfortable nightgown and my makeup was off. I took the pins out of my hair and the jewelry off my body, except for my necklace. I was next to Mary explaining what was wrong.

"So, if anyone asks, I have a fever and nausea," I declared. "And I won't be able to make it on to the report."

"Are you sure?" Diana asked. I nodded my head.

"Could you inform the Royals?" I requested. Mary nodded her head and left the room.

"What now?" Cecelia asked shyly.

"Well, you could teach me a card game that your always playing," I smiled.

Cecelia's face lit up. "This one is called Woman Horse," she said brightly while folding the cards into a bridge. She continued to shuffle expertly until passing out all of the cards.

"This is how you play...." Diana started.

About 30 minutes into our game, Mary came back to the room. "What is this?" She asked while strolling towards the table. "You're playing this without me?" She gasped suddenly.

"I wanted to know how to play," I shrugged with an innocent smile.

"Deal me in next round," she laughed.

We all played for over an hour, the time passing idly by. I had sunken down to the position of slave, and I couldn't stop losing my good cards. "No fair," I whined. "Why can't I get out of poverty?"

"Because the Queen said you can't," Cecelia replied simply.

"Cecelia, you can't talk about yourself in third person!" Diana squealed.

"The Queen does as she wishes," she replied poshly. We all doubled over in laughter, the sound echoing throughout the room.

There was a loud knock at the door. "Shhhh, quiet!" I whisper-shouted. I sprinted as quietly as possible to my bed before jumping in and pulling the covers up to my chin.

I heard the door open. "May I help you?" Cecelia asked politely.

"Could I speak to Lady Elisa?"

That voice. I knew it was Aaron. I shot Mary a warning look and shook my head violently. cecelia was about to reply when Mary interrupted. "I'm sorry, Your Majesty, but she isn't feeling well."

"I know. I just wanted to have a quick word-"

"She's quite contagious I'm afraid," Diana lied.

"We wouldn't want you to fall ill as well," Cecelia added.

"No, we wouldn't," Mary chided. "Please excuse us," she said while forcing the door shut on Aaron.

I released a sigh from my chest while popping up in my bed. "Thank you," I said while getting out of bed. There was another knock on the door, and it opened without an answer. I ducked beside the bed where you couldn't see me from the door.

"We said no!" Shrieked Cecelia while turning to the intruder.

"No to what?" I peeked above the bed to see Jeremy Leger with a shocked expression.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Cecelia stammered. Jeremy had a trey in him arms which held food. "We thought you were someone else.

"It's fine with me," he said before setting the trey down. "I was instructed to deliver this to Lady Elisa before the the other selected leave for the report."

"Thank you," she squeaked. Jeremy nodded in understandment and left the room, putting the rest of us in laughter.

"I just yelled at someone," Cecelia said hazily.