Chapter 1

I lay outside with my body stretched across the lush terrain. The long grass tickled my arms, and the purple and pink wildflowers waved in and out of my vision from swaying in the wind. My arms lay out beside me, forming a T with my body. I looked up into the endless sky to gaze at the grey-white birds soaring high above me.

I thought about how lovely it would have been to be that free.

"Elisa, darling! Come inside!" Called a voice from the house.

"Coming, Mother!" I called back. I rose from my hiding spot that I went to almost every day to go back to the life I could never seem to forget. Mother never knew where I went, but as long as I could hear her calling, she didn't mind my escapes.

I made my trek back down to the house and cut through the back door. I noticed my appearance in the mirror, and smoothed down my hair that had been ruffled by the spring winds and blades of grass. Mother was not a fan of the windswept look.

"I'm back, Mother," I called into the house. I heard the reminiscence of the echo go through the empty hallways.

"Elisa darling, don't yell in the house," scolded my Mother, who was entering the back foyer I was in. "Go get cleaned up, please. Put on a nice dress, too- your picture will be taken today," said Mother as she brushed my cheek affectionately.

"Yes, Mother."

I lightly stepped up the steps in our home to the third floor where my room was. I took a quick shower, and dried my hair. I left my hair in its natural dark brown waves, which would curl sometimes more than others. Mother liked me to wear it down regardless.

After slipping on a white dress with lace detailing my sleeves, I slipped my feet into matching white peep-toe heels and fixed my makeup lightly. I bounded down the steps in my 4" heels, which was the average height for me.

"Mother?" I called significantly quieter than when I came back into the house.

"In the drawing room," I heard her voice beckon. I stood tall and made my way into the drawing room, where Mother was sitting at the dark oak table. She motioned for me to sit beside her, and I placed myself in the wooden chair to her left.

"What did you need me for, Mother?"

She smiled brightly and held a cream colored envelope within her long fingers. I took the letter and tore it open slowly, careful not to rip the letter inside. I skimmed over the first paragraph before knowing exactly what it was. The full name of the boy that I had met at balls had suddenly become a man.

"Oh Mother, please you wouldn't!"

"Elisa, please darling! I just wanted to ask!"

"Mother, you know I wanted to complete advanced surgical education at a public college this autumn. I've already covered the entire cost with scholarships, which were hard to get considering my homeschooling."

"I'm not asking for much, just that you apply. It's not like you will be selected," she said innocently.

"Mother, you know how I've always wanted to go to college, and I worked hard so you wouldn't have to pay for something you didn't approve of. Please, please don't make me do this," I begged.

"I'll make a deal with you. If you fill this out for me, I will sign your education form for the public college."

I was dumbfounded. Mother wouldn't pay a penny for my education at a public college, but she instead wished for me to complete all education at home. Could something so simple really be the answer?

"Do you promise?" I asked without breaking my gaze from the letter.

"Oh, Elisa," she started. "When have I broken a promise?" She asked sweetly as she rose from her seat and exited the drawing room.

I stared at the letter on the table before me. I looked at the letters, which caused them to appear jumbled. I took a closer look, and picked up the black inked pen beside me and pressed it to the thick paper.

Name: Elisa Talia Carams
Age: 17
Caste: two
Height: 5'7"
Hair color: dark brown
Eye color: violet
Race: Alexandrian
Languages: English, French, Spanish, German, Swedish, Chinese
Completed Education: high school and incomplete medical education (provided by tutors)
Skills: ballet, piano, singing, ballroom dancing
Hobbies: reading, piano, singing

I filled out the rest on the information required and folded the paper to put inside the envelope. I rose from the table and went with Mother to have my picture taken. We rode inside the black car to the Town Hall, where there was a seemingly endless line of young girls waiting to have their pictures taken.

We made our way to the two's and three's line, which was relatively short due to a small population of twos. I sat on the stool with a straight back and looked into the camera.

"Name?" Grunted the photographer.

"Elisa Talia Carams," I responded.

The camera flashed and there were dark spots coating my vision before my eyes readjusted to the light. I exited the Town Hall with Mother and we drove back to the estate. The drive was about 10 minutes, but I didn't mind. The scenery was lush and beautiful in the spring time.

We pulled up to the house and I went inside to be greeted by my family for dinner. "Hello, Father," I greeted with a kiss on the cheek. He smiled back at me and returned the greeting. Before he could speak, however, my brother felt the need to interrupt.

"Elisa, why are you so dressed up?" Harrison asked with a wrinkled nose.

"Harry, she doesn't have to have a reason to look nice!" Shot his 14 year old twin sister.

"Penelope, I was just asking!" Complained Harry. Harry was 6'2", and the tallest boy I knew of at the age of fourteen. Even though he towers over her, that doesn't stop Penelope from arguing with him in her 3" heels, making her only a few inches short of Harry and me.

I chuckled and shook my head while they argued, and I was observing them when I felt a tug on my dress. "Pick me up," called my youngest sister, Francesca, while holding her little arms in front of her.

"Hey Fran," I said happily before whisking my four year old sister into the air. Her blonde curls bounced and her infectious giggle filled the foyer. "How were your lessons today?"

"They were ok. I learned how to add!" She said excitedly. I've certainly never been so excited about math until I was finished with it.

"Oh really? What's one million plus three million?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.

She furrowed her brow, stumped. "I can't go that high," she grunted. I laughed and set her back down on the ground.

"Come on, Franny. Time for dinner," I said while holding her hand and guiding her to the dining room. She's an incredibly smart four year old, but bless her heart, she still doesn't know her way around the house.