《 12 》𝑳𝒐𝒄𝒌𝒆𝒅 𝑶𝒖𝒕

THE RIDE WITH Calvin seemed to be better this time around. After he'd helped me into the passenger seat, we drove off towards campus.
The radio stayed on low so there was no awkward silence.

Calvin kept his eyes fixed to the road the whole time, tapping his fingers impatiently against the wheel.

"What's got you so mad?" I clutch my stomach and try my best not to hurl.
Calvin doesn't respond.
"Okay then."

Finally, he snaps, "Why didn't you listen to me in the first place."

"Hmm?" I groan.

"I told you to stop drinking." Calvin grits his teeth, "But no, You just had to disobey me."

I snort, "Disobey?" I gaze at Calvin in bemusement, "You're not my dad, nor an authority figure."

"Not the point."

"And the point is?"

Calvin sighs, "look. I just didn't want you to start ending up like them."

"Like who, your friends?" Why wouldn't he want me to be like his friends?
Wow, he must really hate me.

"Because you're different."

"Ouch." I gaze out the window at the passing city building.
Even at night, the city is Wild and alive.
Like it has a beating pulse that never dies.

Calvin stares out at the road ahead. His hands grip to the steering wheel so firmly. That the flesh around his knuckles turns white.

"I am sorry," I look down at my feet.

"How sorry will you be when I punish you," Calvin mumbles nearly inaudible.

I pretend not to notice. Punish me? What does that mean? I'm an adult what's he gonna do? Give me the silent treatment?
Yeah, right.

Finally, we arrive on campus.
Calvin parks out front of my Dorm building.
I get an intense feeling of deja vu as I step out of the passenger seat.
Calvin takes the keys and hops out as well.

"What're you doin'?" There is no way I'm going to let him follow me back to my dorm.

"Making sure you get back safe."

"Why?"

"Cause you're intoxicated Skylar." Ugh, I hate when he uses my full name.
I tell people my nickname for a reason.
He knows it pisses me off, yet he still does it.

I don't speak, Instead, I allow him to follow behind me.
Finally, we make it up to my dorm when I realize I forgot my key.

"I forgot my keys in the room. Can I use yours?"

"Fuck I gave it to Sarah." Calvin curses.

"Great I'm locked out and drunk." I feel my eyes begin to water, "What am I going to do now?"

"Are you crying?" Calvin asks cautiously while stroking his fingers through his messy flipped-up black hair.

I touch my face to feel a single tear streak down my face.
"So what do you care?" I scrunch up my nose. "I guess I'll sleep on the couch in the lobby down stairs."

Calvin study's my face before speaking. "You can stay at my place. But just this once."

His place? Does he stay in a dorm? It just occurred to me that I've never asked him that before.
"No," I look down the empty hallway. "You can leave."

"Will you just shut the fuck up!" Calvin snaps, "Trust me you're wasting my time."

"Fine then leave." I roll my eyes.

Calvin balls up his fists, "You get on my nerves so much. I--" Calvin growls.

"Oh trust me, I don't like you either."

First week of college and I've already made an enemie. Great.

Calvin shuts his eyes and takes a deep breath calming his anger.
"Fine if you'd rather sleep on a cold and empty couch in public. Be my guest."
Calvin turns and stalks down the hall.

Danm, I hope I don't regret this.
"Wait!"

Calvin turns around and smirks.

"I'll go."

"Come on." Calvin waits for me to catch up.