Chapter 3

It's one am in the morning by the time I get to Gladys'. I assume Gladys, who is both my foster mother and the principle of October Academy, would be asleep. But she is not.

"Where have you been young lady," she says to me, trying to maintain a level of anger she has no energy for.

"I was at work, then I had to stop by Ben's to pick up my phone charger."

She openly scrutinises me. Her dark skin barely masks the bags under her eyes from staying up so late. Her afro is pulled into such a tight bun I wonder how bad a headache she must have.

"Tomorrow is your first day of senior year! And you've hardly had a decent sleep. Get yourself to bed and try to salvage what's left of the night." She pulls her robe tightly around her before stomping up the stairs.

I know she's only mad because of Tim. She never used to care when I was out late. Most of the holidays, I stay with Perry anyway. But ever since Tim... she's driving herself mad. I try to be grateful that she actually cares about my wellbeing. Besides, she's ten times the parent my old foster parents were. The thought makes me shiver.

I follow Gladys and go straight into my room and force myself to sleep. One year left. I only have to go to October Academy for one more year.

I wonder for a moment where I'll be two years – five years – from now. Will Perry still be my best friend? Will Ben and I have raised enough money to finish his med degree? Will...?

I fall asleep with questions on my lips and answers in my mind.

.

.

.

The wicked, sinful, malevolent sound of my alarm clock wakes me up. I groan, roll over, slam snooze, and fall back to sleep.

The wicked, sinful, malevolent sound of my alarm clock wakes me up – again.

This time, I actually turn it off and force myself out of bed. I quickly start getting ready for school, shower, put my horrendous blue uniform on and wince at myself in the mirror.

My black patent shoes with their obnoxious buckle, white socks that reach my ankles, my short blue plaid tennis skirt, boring white button up blouse and my slightly too small navy blazer that needs desperate replacement. I can't believe I'll only have to wear this uniform for one more year – then I never have to wear anything with the obnoxious October Academy crest again.

My eyes drift up to my face. I knew it was going to bruise, but I didn't realise how blatantly obvious it was going to be. My right eye is such an offensive shade of purple, I could be mistaken for Ursula the Sea Witch.

I'll just pop a bit of concealer on it. I'm sure no one will notice. And if anyone does, they won't care. It's high school after all: everyone suffers from adolescent egocentrism.

I grab my two suitcases and give my bedroom one last glance over. The room is empty but for a bed against the bare wall, a desk and a chest of drawers. Funny how everything I own can fit into two mediocre suitcases.

I drag them down the stairs and meet Gladys at the front door. She passes me a toasted piece of banana bread in a paper bag. "Breakfast," she says as we haul ass to the garage.

"You've got to keep training hard this year, don't slack off just because you're a senior."

"I know," I say.

"You still need to skate to keep your scholarship –"

"I know."

"Remember how lucky you are to go to this school-"