Chapter 60

Who does this stalker ghost think they are? Do they really think I'm going to be intimidated by a piece of paper? And why can't I go to formal? This isn't Pretty Little Liars.

It makes no sense. So I ignore it, because that's how my brain works.

If I don't understand it, I push it away. No sense in worrying about something, right? Then you just have to suffer twice.

Or maybe I'm just suffering from denial.

Whoever is doing this must be annoyed at my lacking reaction. What if it's that sicko police officer? What if he's still stalking me from wherever he is?

Who else could it be?

A knock at my door makes me jump high enough to almost hit my head on the ceiling fan.

I open the door and it's Acacia and Perry, ready to take me formal dress shopping. I tuck the threat into the back of my thoughts.

We drive into town and go to the same shopping centre that we bought the lingerie from. We walk for hours, looking for the dress. But the shopping mall is small, so most dresses need to be ordered in.

I forget for a moment that Acacia and Perry already have their dresses – their mothers took them over the holidays and had them sized and fitted for the perfect dress.

We get to the end of the shopping mall where the thrift shops are. Acacia and Perry don't even look at them, but I know that they probably have the only dresses I can afford. Maybe we'll even find a bargain, who knows?

I drag them in before they can protest or raise their pointed noses.

"It smells funny in here," Perry says, puffing out her cheeks.

Acacia sends her big eyes. "It's so... quaint and vintage!"

I roll my eyes. "Privilege looks great on you guys."

Acacia bites her lip.

I carefully sort through the clothing racks, and notice that neither Acacia nor Perry touch the clothing at all. Is it really that abhorrent to them? It's not a big deal – it's practically trendy now to thrift shop, even though for some of us it isn't a choice.

We get to a section of long evening dresses. A blue dress catches my attention.

"That's the one," I say.

Acacia smiles, "try it on."

I try it on and it is perfect. I'm also getting a bit fidgety from browsing for so long, so getting out of here is priority.

I go to the counter and pay for it. Only fifty bucks? Fucking perfect. I look at the label and to my surprise, it's a Patricia Fredrich dress.

Acacia approves.

.

.

.

As we drive home, it starts raining. Thick rain pellets onto my beautiful Star-Fire. The sound is soothing. I love the rain, even though I'm scared of water.

That's when I see Alyssa and Darcy walking through town in the rain.

Darcy makes my heart speed up – even just the thought of him – and I want to pull over to pick him up so he doesn't need to walk in the rain. But Alyssa... the idea of driving her almost makes me nauseous.

But I can't just drive past them, so I pull over and slowly slide up to the curb. "You guys need a ride back to school?" I say over the loudness of the rain.