Chapter 47

I start to read through the report, being so quiet that no one else can hear the paper crumbling in my hands. I want to scream.

For once in my life, the adrenaline coursing through me is enough to help me focus on the words and read them clearly.

Height: 5ft 9

Eye colour: Brown

Hair colour: Black

Nationality: Hispanic

Toxicology report: Small doses of benzodiazepine – no illegal substances

My heart starts beating violently behind my rib cage, so harshly that I think it might burst, overwhelm my lungs and spill out from my throat.

I tuck the paper back into my pocket. What does this mean? Tim didn't die of an overdose? What is benzodiazepine? Who put this in my jacket?

"Before we conclude this assembly," Gladys says, taking a stand at the podium, "I have to make a more sombre announcement. Unfortunately, the self-proclaimed serial killer has taken hostages. I am aware that some students are relatives or friends of the three hostages, and I would like to open up my doors, and the counsellors doors, for anyone who needs it. Times are-"

"Hostages?" I ask, leaning into Perry sitting beside me.

"They're being held until 'confessions' are made," she fills me in.

"Anyone you know?"

"No," she says, "but Fletcher's sister was taken."

I bite my lip. The boy from the party I somewhat remember kissing. His sister taken hostage. What a small, cruel world.

I search the crowd for him, and notice that he isn't here. Acacia sits towards the back of the room, her bodyguard – actually two bodyguards – standing around her.

I wonder how much longer until students are pulled from school.

The bells rings and Gladys dismisses us. I walk with the rest of my home group through the hall, out of the assembly room. I bump into someone hard – someone tall with ice cold eyes.

"Get out of my way, slut," Xander says.

I turn around to glare at him as he passes, but only can glare at his back. I bite my lip. What has gotten into him?

Perry didn't see the transaction, she's far up ahead walking side by side with Mr Wise. I run to catch up with them, hearing the last part of the conversation.

"Your chemistry report was immaculate," he says to her, "best I've ever read."

I forgot he's a science teacher. "Mr Wise," I say, interrupting.

He seems annoyed that an academic peasant like me would interrupt his intellectually stimulating conversation.

"Do you know what benzodiazepine is?"

He scoffs at my pronunciation and corrects me before saying, "Yes, it's for procedural sedation."

"Procedural?"

"Surgeries and the like," he says, matter-of-factly.

"So it wouldn't be recreational?"

"Not unless sleeping is considered fun these days," he remarks, turning his attention back to Perry to continue their discussion on chemical compounds or something else I wouldn't understand.

So Tim was sedated. By who? And what kind of procedure was he undergoing?

So many questions, so little answers.

.

.

.

After I have my afternoon shower, I head back to my room to work on my art assignment. I start working on it, painting the smallest details onto the rose stem.

My phone buzzes.

Darcy: Laundry day?

What does that mean? Does he want to meet me in the laundry room?

Darcy: Come.

Me: On my way.

I walk myself across the courtyard, dragging my basket of washing with me. I only bring my uniforms and make sure to take all my undies and bras out.

"Hey," Darcy says, leaning against the frame of the door.

I walk in, careful not to brush against him. Because I think if I feel his skin again, I won't be able to control myself.

He follows me inside, closing the door behind him. We make our way to over to the corner of the room, to the washing machine against two walls.

"So, have you never done your own washing before? Is that why you called me here?" I joke.

He quirks a brow at me then laughs, "so I'm not slick?"

I laugh. "I'll teach you everything I know," I say, eyes uncontrollably drifting down to his lips.

I grab my basket and his, separating the lights from the darks and setting up the washing machines.

"I was joking," he says, leaning in, taking the light basket from me. "Of course, I know how to do my own washing, I'm not an animal."

"I was truly concerned," I laugh. "You smell too good to not be washing your clothes."

He glances me up and down, leaning one arm against the wall, "I smell good?"

"Yeah," I say quickly, and regret it when a cocky grin slips over his features.

"You smell good, too," he says quietly.

"What do I smell like?" I laugh, expecting something like paint and sweaty ice skates.

"Like grapes and..." he stops, looking down at me, "caramel."

"That sounds like it clashes," I say, biting my lip.

It feels so criminal being alone with him now – now all I can think about is kissing him. It was hard enough before we kissed, but now? Now I've tasted the forbidden fruit and there's no going back.

"Opposites attract?" he offers.

I stifle a laugh.

I finish loading the washing machine. I close the lid and pull myself up so I can sit on top of it.

"Now we wait," I say to him. "What should we do for an hour?"

He smirks, "What do you want to do?"

"I can think of a few things," I accidentally let slip.

Darcy stands in front of me, placing his hands either side of my hips, on the corners of the washing machine. "Like what?" he says, his dark hair falling down.

I reach out, playing with a strand of his hair.

He grabs my wrist and I freeze. Something flashes in his eyes, some kind of hunger that I haven't seen before.

"Don't," he says.

"Don't what?"

"Tempt me."

____________________________

oh my lord i love this chapter 

next one too hehe

i love Darcy - is it obvious?

whose side are you on? 

what's everyone's thoughts on Jade? is she an annoying protagonist? or is she likable?

let me know your thoughts,

vote and comment if you like the story so far!!!

love from aurora