Chapter 5

"Wow, thankyou sounds different in these parts of town."

I roll my eyes, "what exactly should I be thanking you for?"

"I distracted that police officer from giving you a ticket."

I realise now that he's right. If it weren't for him, I could've been in a lot more trouble. Heat rushes to my cheeks as I figure out I'm being an ass to someone who helped me.

"Thanks," I say, quietly.

"Anytime, Jade." The way he says my name feels like it's a secret he uncovered. Even though I literally told him last night. It feels oddly... intimate.

"Did you get a ticket?" I ask.

"You really think I'd get caught?" he smirks. "I know these streets better than anyone."

"You used to live here?"

"I went to October Academy with Ben."

I didn't pick him as a kid that went to October Academy. Probably because most of the kids that went there are prestigious pricks – but Callum is sporting a leather jacket and rides a motorcycle, definitely uncharacteristic of an October Academy rich kid.

"So what brings you back to Mt October?"

"Seasons over, so I thought I'd spend some time at home."

"What season?" I ask, confused.

"I play ice-hockey."

"Oh, now I know you went to October Academy," I grin, thinking about how iconic ice-hockey is at the Academy.

"Ice-hockey is still big there?"

"Oh, yeah," I smile, the skin around my eye creasing. Just enough to make me half wince. I hope Callum doesn't notice. The bar is darkly lit, he'd need super vision to discern any bruising.

Ben walks back over to us after he finishes up with that customer. "Anyways," he continues, "do you know any kids at your school that play guitar?"

"Nope," I sigh, "You and I both know my only friend is Perry."

"I can play," Callum says casually.

Ben looks over to him, "I didn't want to ask you because I know you're not staying in town long."

"What, to play in your band? Bro, I'd love to fill in until you can find someone."

"Really?" Ben smiles his contagious smile, "That would be perfect, man."

"And who knows, maybe I'll stay in town longer than I anticipated." Callum looks down at me.

I take the moment to take a better look at him. He's very conventionally attractive. He's got distinctive features, sharp jaw, perfectly shaped brows. His skin is pale, but pure. I get the impression that he could be Russian. His eyes are light – maybe green or grey. His hair is longer on top and slightly shorter on the sides, no where near as long as Darcy's. Wait... why am I comparing him to Darcy?

I push the thought aside. "I should get going, I've got homework."

"Let me know if you need any help," Ben offers, "See ya."

"Later," I wave and walk out.

One thing I love about October Academy is the freedom. Most boarding schools won't even let you leave campus without parental permission and signed consent forms. Luckily, October Academy is run by the rich and famous, and rules just don't apply to them. Or maybe they did once, but the teachers were bribed so many times they became redundant.