Chapter 9

Mrs Rosseau walks over to me and leans over my desk. She quietly says, "That police officer man would like to speak with you."

I bite my lips together. My heart pumps loudly enough that I notice it. "About what?"

"I'm not sure, chérie."

I slowly stand up. All eyes follow me as I walk to the door where the cop is.

The minute his eyes meet mine I recognise who he is. The zombie who tried to give me a speeding ticket.

"Nice to see you again, Jade," he says. "Maybe we should go somewhere more private."

Stranger danger. "No one comes through this hallway, we can talk here?"

"Alright, then. I suppose it's not too noisy."

"What can I help you with, Sir?"

"We never got to finish our little chat the other day."

"I didn't realise you had any more to say."

His eyes narrow on me. "Young lady, you got away without a speeding ticket, that's no way to treat a man that's done you a favour."

"I wasn't even speeding."

"And if I write you up a ticket now who is going to stop me?"

I shut my mouth hard. I feel heat rush through me, sweat drips down my forehead.

"Anyways, Miss Fernwood, I really would like for us to get along."

"Me too," I force out.

"If you help me with something, I'll forget all about it," he tucks a stray hair from my face behind my ear.

I flinch away and grit my teeth hard. This man is an actual paedophile what the fuck?

"What do you want?"

"I want you to find out who is selling fake ID's to the students here."

Phew. I already know the answer to that. "I have no clue," I lie.

"Then figure it out. Or I will write you up a ticket," he takes a step closer to me, and I take a step back, "Or maybe, I'll do something worse."

My eyes prick with something. My legs weaken and for a moment I think I might buckle over.

Mrs Rousseau takes a step into the hall. She eyes him up and down, giving him the stink eye. "All done here?" she says, "Jade really does have to return to class."

"Yes, I'm sure she values her education." He offers me his hand, "You can call me Officer Taylor. I can't wait to hear from you. Till then, I'll be keeping an eye on you."

Before I can walk away, he grabs my hand and shakes it firmly. His hands are clammy and tightly grip mine, so tight that it pinches.

I rip my arm away and run back into class.

Mrs Rousseau glares at him before I hear her say, "Next time you need to speak with a student, please request an interview with both the principle, and their parent present."

"No worries, Miss, I'll be sure to be more organised next time."

She closes the door and he disappears from sight.

When I sit down at my desk, I can't stop fidgeting. I aimlessly spin my pen around my fingers. One day, when I was procrastinating studying, I spent hours on end learning pen tricks. I hadn't even realised how much time had passed.

I spin the pen around my fingers, start biting my nails.

The bell rings. I wasted a whole lesson dawdling. I should have started my assignment. But how could I focus when Officer Taylor's threat was hovering above my head?