Chapter 62

so mad because wattpad keeps doing wierd things to my chapters and i have to upload twice to get them fixed. sorry!

The day of formal creeps around the corner so quickly. We get the day off school to prepare. Most of the girls make the walk to town to get their makeup and hair done, some have private stylists that come straight to their dorms, and others are like me – doing it themselves and failing miserably.

I have my English notes in front of me, and try to multi-task between applying foundation and memorising my essay for the exam.

Isn't it cruel for a school to put formal the week before exams? I guess that way, it becomes a token of accomplishment. School finishes in less than two weeks now, so formal is like a massive afterparty.

I recite the words of my English essay and finish up my foundation, then my blush. I even try to contour, though it doesn't work very well.

I hear a knock at my door and Gladys lets herself in.

"How many times have I told you to lock your door?" Gladys lectures me.

"Don't worry, I've learnt my lesson." I think back to Callum interrupting my sexy session with Darcy and wriggle even more.

"Oh dear," Gladys says, taking in my makeup.

She takes a seat on my bed and I turn my chair around to face her. She takes one of my brushes and blends out whatever mess I created.

Then she takes my hair – which I had attempted to curl ten minutes earlier – and pulls the top half of it into an intricate array of swirls.

"Where did you learn to do that?" I say, but when I look at her afro (which is always immaculately presented), I figure she must have incredibly agile fingers.

"I'm a jack of all trades," she says and smiles down at me. "You look beautiful."

I clip on the beautiful bracelet Darcy got me, then pull on my dress and Gladys tightens the straps from behind.

It's navy blue, with a shimmery sequin detailing. The bodice is tight, but it flares out below my knees: the perfect mermaid dress. The top hangs low, but not too much. My boobs look banging, my hips are accentuated, and Gladys pulls the straps so tight that I have a deceptive hourglass figure.

When my eyes meet mine in the mirror, I barely recognise myself.

Even though I'm wearing a cake face full of makeup, even though my hair is never this neat and swept, even though I never wear dresses as expensive as this one once was – I feel beautiful, and I feel true to myself.

"You've got half an hour till the bus leaves," Gladys says, "Where are you meeting your date?"

"The courtyard," I tell her.

"And let me guess, it's that Kane boy."

I nod, blushing through the makeup.

"He's a smart boy," she says, and it's the nicest thing she could say. "Always be careful."

"I am," I say and send her a cheeky grin. "Are you supervising tonight?"

"All the staff associated with the senior year were invited," she says, fiddling with the hem of my skirt as we walk down the stairwell. "And of course, I'll be there. I can't believe how much you've grown up." Gladys sniffles a little. "You came to my home when you were only thirteen, and even though I've had fourteen foster children over the years, losing one to adulthood always hurts. I'm proud of you, and you'll always be one of my children, even when you move out. You will always be welcome in my home, to visit or stay. I love you."