Chapter 2 - Unravel

After being annoyed later that evening after practice that Kageyama needs to get along with Hinata if he needs to play with the team, he snapped on Hinata and then one-sidedly talked about what they can do to practice well together, which kind of ended in confusion. Since they were tired and it's a little late too late at night, they decided to continue the talk tomorrow and decided to go home for now.

On his way home, Kageyama decided to stop by the convenience store to buy some snacks on his way home and took a milk box and meat bun before proceeding to check out at the counter. 

As the previous customer paid and left, he walked ahead and looked at the cashier, raising his eyebrow before widening his eyes.

"Wha-What are you doing here?" He pointed at Y/n, who was scanning his items.

"Hm? I work here part-time." she puts the items in the bag and then looks at him. 

He took a while to process her words before taking out his wallet and opens it.

"S-s-so you come here every day after school?" He hands her the money.

"Not really, I work every alternate days." She smiled after giving him his change back and bows slightly. "Please come again."

He leaned back in surprise and cleared his throat before looking away.

"Y-yi-you don't have to be polite." He scratched his head.

She looks around before calling him over by a motion of her hand, and he brings his head closer to her.

"The manager wants me to be polite, so I got no choice." she mutters.

He sighs and nods upon understanding and walks out.

He looks back at the store before walking ahead on his tracks.

'She seemed to behave different here..maybe because she works?' He thought as he took out his meat bun and unwraps it.

'She don't seem to be how people describe her so far. Well, I could be wrong.' He shrugs and  takes a bite of the meat bun as he walks towards home.

The next day Kageyama showed up late to his class since he was busy trying to practice and get in sync with Hinata that he lost track of time. He apologized to the teacher and proceeded to go to his usual seat beside Y/n, not really acknowledging her, who was scribbling the notes on her notebook seriously.

Kageyama tried hard to focus on the class but instead drew hand signals and volleyball-related sketches on his book.

The teacher called out on him and asked him to answer a question, to which he didn't answer since he didn't listen to their class. 

"You need to pay more attention in the class if you want to pass the quiz next week." The teacher tells and continued with his lecture.

"Tch, Quiz?" Kageyama huffed and looked down at his notebook, which had nothing written related to the class.

"I don't even know what we're learning in this class." He sighed and rests his head on his hand, looking around to see who he can ask for notes in the class. Everyone else seems to be unfamiliar to him until his eyes reached Y/n, who was now looking out the window.

'I can ask her for notes  since she's the only one I kind of know..' He thinks before shaking his head. 'No I can't!' He looks down and places his finger on his chin.

He then looked at the teacher who was looking at Kageyama, and Kageyama looked away immediately after that, clearing his throat to catch Y/n's attention. to which he succeeded.

"Keh-Ai-Vurro-Yur-Notes?" He mutters to her and she raised an eyebrow, before deciphering what he wanted to tell.

"Sure, you can have them." She grabs her book and gives it to him, and he was a little in shock to realize how easily she understood him. 

"Tha-nk you." He started to copy the notes from her book quickly, giving her the book back once he was done.

He then takes a glimpse of her then looks down at his notes, fleeting into thoughts again.

'Heartbreaker, huh..?' He leans back and looks at her, who was looking at the teacher at that moment.

He then shook his head and looked away with a sigh. 'Nah, I don't have feelings for her anymore. That was in middle school. I-I don't like her right now, I know that! She has obviously dated other guys...' (sure, whatever you say. XD Why think about her then?)

He looks at her and places his chin on his hand. 'But why does it feel like it's a different person than what everyone claims her to be?'

When the bell rang and it was homeroom, students again began to gather around their class to catch a glimpse of Y/n with all the rumour and gossips. Kageyama couldn't listen to them anymore for some reason and angrily stood up, walking through the crowd and out the class. 

'Man! I really can't find some peace!' He scratched his head and slightly growled.

He went to the vending machine and as usually stared hard into it, eyeing between milk and yogurt and finally getting himself a pack of milk. He leaned his back against the vending machine and inserted the straw in the pack, taking a huge sip from the pack. He took his time drinking, finally squeezing the pack empty before crushing the pack and throwing it in the bin.

The next week passed by fairly normally, and he always went to the convenience store after the evening practice to buy his snacks, while unconsciously wanting to see Y/n more. He wanted to get to know her without really realizing given that he seemed to have grasped a side of hers that was different than what was perceived by the people. Even though it was a small part of her that he was now familiar with, he seemed to want to unravel more about how she is as a person for his own satisfaction, rather than having people judge by looks and what other people talks about others, since he knows about that feeling as he was known as the 'king of the court' himself, a name given by others.