Chapter 3 - Troubled

In spite of him actually going to her part-time site every time it was her shift, it was all for no luck since there was nothing much that came from those meetings. He was finally accepted to the school's volleyball team at this point and thought of letting it go since he didn't have much to do anyway, and didn't know what else can be done. He redeemed his efforts useless since there is nothing else to focus on except for the volleyball matches until fate gives him a breakthrough.

One day during one of the practice matches, Kiyoko called out the boys to inform them about something.

"You all know that it is my final year and that means that it is my final year as a manager as well." She started and both Tanaka and Nishinoya were on the act of their comedic depression.

"So I decided to scout for an assistant manager that would help me and whom I can train for being the next manager." Her words left everyone wondering and they waited for her to disclose who is going to be the assistant manager.

"I just want to tell you all that although she didn't really want to apply for the manager, I insisted her on giving this a try since she can help with the fitness training. After all, her dad is a  personal trainer and she seems to be knowledgable about this." She then turns around and looks by the gym gates and called for her to come in, while others were still curiously looking on to who it might be.

The door opened and Y/n walked in, standing beside Kiyoko. At first, she just looked at everyone in the team, who were surprised to know that she was going to be their assistant manager, while Kageyama froze and had a blank expression on his face.

"Huh? Kageyama is not breathing!" Hinata looked at Kageyama and poked his shoulder.

"Kageyamaaaa!" Hinata was being noisy and goofy while poking his shoulder.

"I look forward to working with you all." Y/n bowed slightly and greeted them. "I will be on trial for a month as an assistant manager and I hope we get along well." She gave a genuine smile, earning the boys' kind and warm smile as well, except for Kageyama, who was still frozen in place.

While the boys were practicing, Kiyoko and Takeda explained to Y/n about her tasks and what she can help with, and she nods while taking notes in her little notepad.

During a short break, Yamaguchi looks at Y/n and walks over to Kageyama who was setting the ball to Hinata.

"Kageyama, isn't Y/n in the same class as yours?" He asked out of nowhere, to which Kageyama lost focus and set the ball a little to high for Hinata to miss.

After a small pause, Kageyama turned around to face Yamaguchi and wiped the sweat off his head. "Yeah, what about it?"

"Is it true? I mean, the rumours." He asked curiously.

"Ha? I don't know about that! It's not like we're friends or anything." Kageyama told and rubbed his face with a towel. "We don't talk to each other or anything. 

Yamaguchi just looks at Kageyama and Hinata comes over to join in the conversation.

"Y/n? What rumour?" He asks.

"Huh? Didn't you hear?" Yamaguchi looks at Hinata. "That she's a heartbreaker. She just dates guys and then ditches th-"

"Oi boke! We are still supposed to try that quick we were talking about. It needs more practice to perfect it." Kageyama cuts Yamaguchi off and changed the subject, while Hinata nodded and went back to practicing with Kageyama.

Understandably, Yamaguchi realized that it might not be a good thing to talk about and went on to continue with his practice.

For the evening practice though, Y/n didn't show up and Nishinoya looks around before going to Kiyoko, asking her where the assistant manager was.

"So? What's up?" Tanaka asks Nishinoys who was returning back after asking Kiyoko.

"She got part-time after school so she wouldn't show up for now." Nishinoya told Tanaka and Kageyama heard the conversation since they were talking while standing just a few steps behind him.

The evening was a little annoying for Kageyama since he heard Tsukishima and Yamaguchi talking about Y/n.

"Huh? What people talk about her is none of my concern." Tsukishima told Yamaguchi.

"I was just thinking, will the team be okay since she is now here, or will it get crowded by curious onlookers just like how their class gets crowded all the time." Yamaguchi told curiously.

"As I said, that's none of my concer-"

"You guys," Kageyama glared at them. "Got a lot of time talking about someone when you could just use them to practice here." He looks them dead in the eyes.

"A-ah I'm sorry Kageyama, I was just really curious." Yamaguchi told while Tsukishima just looked at Kageyama, let out a sigh and walks away. "Shut up, Yamaguchi, let's go."

Kageyama huffs and looks away, setting the ball low and high instead of setting directly into the palm of Hinata.

"Oi Kageyama, what's wrong with you? You're missing all the sets." Hinata pointed out.

"Just take some time off, I'll sub you." Sugawara pats Kageyama on his back and lets him walk out the line to take a breather.

Kageyama sat with his back against the wall and took a big sip from the Pocari Sweat bottle, then wiping his forearm across his forehead to wipe off the excess sweat.

He then looked at Yamaguchi and Tsukishima who were now practicing their serves while spacing out, thinking about what Yamaguchi said and also that what he told is in fact true from a general perspective.

He then wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and stood up, continuing with the practice as usual by being his normal self.

Later after the practice is done, on his way home he again passed by the convenience store where Y/n works at, and entered it, directly going to her.

Y/n looks at him and smiled. "Are you planning on buying the usual?" She asks, but frowns when she saw that he was empty-handed.

Kageyama's expression got stiff when he couldn't get himself to talk to her about what happened earlier in the gym, and actually nodded with a rather forced expression.

"Is there anything you want to talk about?" she tilts her head slightly and asks, knowing him well enough to realize that he's fairly bad at communicating or starting a conversation every time he gets an uneasy expression look on his face.

He shakes his head and sighed, before walking out of the store, putting his hands in his pockets as Y/n just looked on, not really knowing what was up.