Chapter 35 - Lose

The next few weeks has been hectic for everyone since everyone was training hard for the tournament, and by the end of the day they were all exhausted that they barely had any energy left to even return home, but did so somehow.

The progress between Y/n and Kageyama were going well too, and they seem to be going back to how close they used to be.

Kageyama has still not confessed anything yet because there's always someone that'll interrupt his efforts in even trying to by constantly calling him or searching for him, given the pressure that they had as the tournament draws nearer and nearer.

It was the day before their first match, and Kageyama was walking Y/n home.

She hums, playing with her hands while he just looked ahead.

"Hey..." She looks down. "The rumours are dying out..." She looks at him. "Does that mean that you'll stop this whole relationship thing soon?"

She asked out of curiosity.

He looks at her and smiled.

"Idiot..." He shakes his head. "You don't just stop doing this out of the blue. It'll be obvious."

He then looks away with a little blush. "Besides, why'd you wanna do this when things are finally getting better, back to how it used to be?"

She widened her eyes with his words and then smiled at him.

"Well.." she giggled. "I wonder how long I have to be in the waiting list." She joked.

"Till you get tired of me." He shrugged and responded as a joke.

She huffed and stood in front of him. "Well too bad, that's not gonna happen."

He looks at her and smiled.

'Not like i even want that from you.'

He thought before flicking her forehead.

"Let's hurry up. I need to get back home soon. Big day tomorrow." He sighed with a smile and walked past her, with her following him closely.

"Ironic. You'll prolly be awake all night since you're excited." She rolled her eyes.

He stopped walking and looks at her.

"I-Is it really that obvious?"

"Well, to me, yeah...?" She smirked.

He thought for a while then looked at her with a smile.

"After we win the tournament, there's something I'd like to give you as a gift."

Her eyes sparkled and she looked at him.

"What would that be?" She asked.

He looks at her in the eyes and tucks her hair behind her ear.

"Something you've been longing for..." He muttered.

She thought for a while then looks at him as she steps back.

"Yeah I'm guessing you're now planning on getting me the drawing pad that we saw together in the mall last week. " she rolled her eyes.

"Well..." He shrugged and chuckled. "Not really. But let's keep that a surprise."

The next few days were hectic again, with the boys under constant training, and everyone focusing on only winning the matches.

Everyone was strictly told to go home to rest by Coach Ukai so they can have enough energy for their matches.

Nevertheless, they were victorious in their matches sp far, and now they had to face Seijou.

During the warm up, Kageyama dropped the ball and it rolled over to Seijou's part of the court, where Oikawa noticed the ball and went to grab it, only to have Kageyama grab the ball at the same time.

Oikawa glared at Kageyama and grinned.

"Long time, Tobio-chan..."

Kageyama looked back at him with the same glare.

"We're going to win this."

Oikawa scoffed before throwing the ball over to him.

"Well, good luck with that."

Kageyama grabbed the ball and went over to the court to continue the warm up.

The matches soon started and Y/n went over to the spectators seating area to cheer for the boys.

Unfortunately, the match ended with Karasuno's loss and everyone was emotional about their first loss in tournament, not being able to move on to the semi-final.

The boys lined up and bowed in front of the spectators seating area, with their heads bowed down.

Y/n covered her mouth woth both her hands, feeling what the boys felt and crying her eyes out too, knowing the amount of hard-work the boys put to reach where they did right now.

In the lockers room, everyone were still distressed about their loss while they put on their tracksuits.

"Well, just know that you all have done well. I'm proud. You all did a great job. Remember this feeling to get through the future matches you'll encounter."

Ukai told with a smile.

"Well, for all the hard work, let me treat you all out to dinner. It's on me." He offered.

They were all taken to a local inn where they were provided with variety of dishes off the menu, and they all ate their grieving heart out.

Kageyama didn't seem to eat much and excused himself for a breather, much to everyone's surprise, since he didn't seem to blame himself for the loss earlier.

Ukai looked at Y/n and nodded for her to go check on him.

Y/n stood up and walked out of the inn to see him standing with his back against her, staring at the night sky with silence.

She quietly walked towards him but stood behind him instead of beside him, not really knowing how to approach him to make him feel better.

"The weather looks gloomy, right?"

Kageyama muttered.

Y/n widened her eyes.

"You knew I was here?"

He scoffed slightly. "I can tell if it's you, without even looking."

He looked back at the sky as he let his tears fall silently.

"Tobio-kun..." She placed a hand on his shoulder.

"We lost-"

"Don't." She shook her head. "There's always a second chance." She smiled and wiped his tears. "You need to learn from mistakes and improve them. There's never a win or lose. There's a win or lessons."

Kageyama looked at her, feeling motivated with her words and smiled.

"You're right." He rubbed the tip of his nose. "We got the spring tournament too."

She nods. "Let's go finish eating with the others."