Horny Brain

The next day was filled with stolen glances and flushing faces from both of our parts.

"I knew it; you and Seth fucked!" Alivia exclaimed, after catching me staring into space for the third time.

My eyes were on hers in an instant. "Come again?"

She snorted. "That's what he said."

The three of them burst into giggles and I rolled my eyes. "We did not fuck, you freaks."

"Then what is that awful, happy glow you have around you?" Valerie demanded to know.

Awful, happy glow? "The cafeteria has fries for lunch today."

"And I bet you're gonna slobber over those fries like you slobbered on Seth's di-" Tiera said, before squealing from a pinch to her side.

"I will peel your wig back if you finish that sentence."

"Fine, fine," she laughed. "So it would be perfectly fine if I asked for his number after class, right?"

With no conscious thought, my face moved and I already knew it was a think about it and I'll kill you look.

They were already cackling before I realized my mistake.

"It's okay." Tiera gave my arm a comforting pat. "We'll stay away from your man."

I rolled my eyes, and for once, I decided to acknowledge the caterpillars caterpillaring in my stomach.

Later, when the bell rang, Seth was waiting by the door and we met eyes.

Act normal, Avy. Those three vultures will laugh at you if you do something stupid.

I just knew they were shitting and giggling, pressed into the window to watch us.

"Walk me to my next class?" I asked him.

He gave a small smile, shut up caterpillars, and took my hand.

At that moment, the two single brain cells I had, that were hanging on by a thread, broke. MY HAND HE'S FXCKING HOLDING MY HAND OH FXCK I'M GONNA COMBUST MY HANDS ARE GONNA GET SWEATY AND HIS HANDS ARE WARM AND BIG AND THEY-

My temporary loss of mind halted when I saw Cecelia walking ahead of us. She'd never called me after last week nor had I seen her around.

"Cece!" I called and jogged over to her. "Hey, are you okay? Is your brother alright?"

She gave me a small, tired smile and I had to remind myself not to stare. A squeeze to my hand reminded me that Seth was still holding my hand.

He frowned at me before his eyes slid to Cece and his frown turned into a cold glare.

"He's okay. His appendix burst, so he had to have emergency surgery," she explained.

"That's good. Are you sure you're okay?" The bags under her eyes were noticeably darker. "You look tired."

I was rewarded with a bigger smile and unconsciously clenched Seth's hand in mine. Holy shit on a stick, exhaustion has never looked so good on someone.

"You're worried about me, Avy?" She twirled a piece of my hair around her finger. "Don't do that, you'll wrinkle your pretty face."

EXCUSE ME? MAAM IS THIS ALLOWED? I could feel Seth's grip getting tighter.

"I have been tired though," she continued, staring into my eyes, "maybe you could help me sleep?"

My brain was about to short circuit. I wanted to say something equally clever and flirty back, but I could do nothing but grin back.