Coolin

Apparently, his nap wasn't enough to sober him up because when I walked in, Milo's face lit up and he made his way over to me, almost tripping, before gathering me into his arms. "Avy!" he slurred, a goofy smile on his face. "I'm sooo glad you're baccckk!"

I shoved him away. "Yeah, me too."

He reattached himself to me and I dragged him with me as I threw my dirty clothes into a bin.

Calix and Ember were counting the fibers of my rug and I let them.

As long as they aren't bothering me.

Grabbing one of my brothers shirts, I tossed that on along with some grey sweatpants at least two sizes too big.

Glancing at my bed, I found myself relieved that Sylvia was still asleep. If she was awake, I thought, she'd have them all bouncing off the walls.

I smiled dryly at the thought, feeling like a mother taking care of her four children.

A small knock sounded at my door.

"Come in," I called, trying to detach the moaning Milo from my leg.

My door opened, in the midst of Milo whining, to reveal the curly, jet black hair and baby blue eyes of my youngest brother, Cole.

"Avy!" Milo whined, "I just want your leg!" He smushed his face into it to prove his point.

Cole's eyes widened at Milo's voice.

Although Cole had known the boys and Sylvia for years, he still didn't know how to deal with them so I limited the amount of times they were around Cole.

Staring at them, he seemed frozen and I cursed myself for not letting him know that they had come back today.

Knowing that Cole got extremely embarrassed when anyone mentioned his anxiety, I continued on calmly. "Cole, what do you need?" I asked, trying to focus his attention on me.

"Oh," he blushed, eyes darting between Milo, at my leg, and Calix, on the floor, "I-I, uh. I just wanted t-to, to, uh, ask for s-some....s-s-some.."

"Cole," I said calmly and his eyes snapped up to mine. "Just look at me," I said gently, "and tell me what you came in here for. Don't worry about them."

He nodded, some of the panic fading from his eyes. "I-I just wanted to borrow your old iPod."

"Hold on," I said, shoving Milo away, again, "it's in my closet."

I moved to my closet, and thankfully Milo didn't come after me again, and started to search for the iPod. Just as it was retrieved, I heard a small squeak and turned to see Calix looming over my blushing brother.

"Calix," I tugged his arm to draw him away from Cole. "Leave Cole alone."

He caressed Cole's cheek gently, causing Cole to flush even further. "He doesn't like me, Avy. Why don't you like me, tiny Ryder? Have I wronged you?"

Shoving him in the back, I handed Cole the iPod and motioned for him to go. "Because you're weird, dumbass. Now move."

Cole quickly escaped and Calix turned to me, pouting. "Look, you scared him away."

"Me?" I scoffed, "You were the one harassing him."

He frowned. "What? That wasn't me."

"Who was it then?"

"It was him!" Calix pointed at the beanbag lying in the corner of my room.

I sighed. Rule number one of dealing with drunk people: Don't get into an argument with them.