Left Them Behind in the Dust

I peeked my head out of my door, scanning the hallway for any brothers. So far so good.

My friends and I were going to a party, so obviously I had to dress out. I wore a white cropped tank top that made my near non existent boobs make an appearance and a black skirt tight enough to let my ass seem like an ass. I had on sneakers, but later, I was going to exchange them with a pair of black, two inch heels that laced up my calves. My braids framed my face and I'd only added some touches of makeup before I was ready to go.

I inched out of my room, careful not to let my accessories clank together too loudly as I made my way down the stairs and surveyed the living room suspiciously. Why is no one here? It was eight o clock and as far as I knew, mostly everyone was home. So, once again, I made the mistake of believing I was lucky and stepped in the kitchen to get some water.

If I ever meet that bitch Luck, I'm stomping her out in the streets. The Three Musketeers and their newly added plus one as well as Chad, Chase, and Cole were all huddled in the kitchen watching a video on Corey's phone.

I froze in the doorway as seven pairs of eyes landed on me.

Caleb took one look at me and spit out his drink. Seth started choking, and Carter's eyes narrowed. Chad and Corey were staring at me, eyebrows furrowed, but at least Cole and Chase looked away, disinterested.

Eyes curving into a smile, Carter was the first to speak up. "Where are you going, Avyier?" he asked in a deceptively soft voice.

My full name? I'm fucked. Don't show fear; he eats that up. "A party," I said casually, as if his smile wasn't sending fear into my heart. "Why?"

"Where's the rest of your clothes?" Corey asked.

Great, it's starting. I strode to our water filter and got some water. "With the rest of your IQ."

"Take that skirt off and give it to me so I can burn it," Caleb said, nods of agreement coming from various spots.

I waited for someone to start laughing, but no one did. "The skirt isn't even bad!" I protested. "I'm not giving you shit."

Caleb got up. "Yes you are." Carter and Corey followed.

I glanced between the three of them. "You're serious?" They didn't move so I turned to Seth. "Talk some sense in to them."

"Hey, c'mon guys. She can wear what she wants. That's what we're here for," he tried, "to de—"

"Shut up Seth," Chad said, standing beside Corey. "No one is going to even look at my sister the wrong way. Take it off Avy."

"They say its no use in raising kids," I muttered, shaking my head.

"You're one year older than me!"

I backed out of the room slowly and they advanced on me slowly. I could choke Chad out or outrun Corey on any given; Carter and Caleb were the dangerous ones. "Guys," I tried, "what about women's rights?"

"Take it off," Caleb said.

Shoes in hand, I turned around and booked it, jumpstarting a mad chase towards me. I darted in the living room, leaping over the couch, only to stumble on an uneven piece of carpet. Gathering my bearings almost lost me my life, as Carter came dangerously close to latching onto my arm before I snatched it away. On the move again, I groaned when I saw that Corey was blocking the front door.

"Move dumbass!" I shouted, but he didn't and I barreled into him. Caught off guard by the collision, Corey couldn't do anything as I shoved him towards Caleb and Carter who were right on my heels. They collapsed in a heap, leaving Chad to barrel past them, just as I darted out of the house, sneakers slapping the ground as I frantically tried to get my keys out of my purse and open the door.

"Stop!" he shouted after me, but it was too late; the car was unlocked and I got strapped in the car before pealing out of my driveway, cackling as I watched them try to chase after me.