You're Not My Dad

"Avy."

Huh?!

I paused, disbelieving, before turning slowly. "Seth?"

He stared at me with barely contained rage. "Let's go," he said coldly, forcing my grip off of the still crying midget and dragged me away. "We're leaving."

"W-wait!" I sputtered as he dragged me through the crowd. "Ember and the boys are still in there!"

"They're riding with the others," he answered shortly as we strode past Mr. Darcy, giving him a nod and Mr. Darcy giving him a grim look in response.

"You're banned for a month!" he called after me.

Seth unlocked his car, helping me in the car and slammed the door before getting in on the other side and shoving his seatbelt on in short, tight movement and growled at me to put mine on as well.

I turned away from him angrily and ignored him.

"Put. Your. Seatbelt. On."

I rolled my eyes, knowing that it would only serve to enrage him further.

He reached over and pulled my seatbelt down and buckled me in himself.

As he did so, I saw the veins popping in his arms and I frowned, suddenly doubtful in my actions tonight. Was it really that bad?

He pealed out of the parking lot and we drove in angry silence for awhile until I asked the question I'd been wanting to know ever since I saw him. "How'd you even know I was there?"

His jaw worked before he answered, still growling. "There was a party not far from Darcy's. Someone was live streaming at the club and Corey saw the argument. Carter was the one who thought it would escalate so we headed over."

More silence.

I stared at Seth, noticing his fists were white from clenching the wheel.

We reached a stoplight and his hands relaxed slightly as he took a deep breath. "All I wanna know is why you did it."

I shrugged. "Self defense. Wasn't it obvious?"

"You took it way too far for just self defense. Why did she hit you in the first place?"

I considered telling him about Myra but I remembered his comment from earlier about my lack of careful decisions.

Instead, I told him: "I don't owe you an explanation Seth."

"Why not? When I got there, she was begging you not to go further, but you still raised your hand against her. What would've happened if I wasn't there?"

She would've got knocked the fuck out, I thought, watching the scenery pass me by. "It doesn't matter anymore. It's finished with," I told him.

"Are you kidding me?" The car skidded to a stop and he pulled over.

I looked over at him, panicked. "The fuck? What are you doing?"

Killing the engine, he turned to me, his face serious. "That girl was clearly injured and terrified. Why did you go so far?"

"I gave her two chances to leave me alone! She's the one who started it! She literally slapped me and I was leaving the scene!" Defending myself, I realized that I did feel a smidge guilty about going so far.

"Avy, you promised," he said lowly.

Ah fuck. Not the consequences of my own actions.

It'd been a little while ago. Another night of Seth peeling me out of a fight and we'd gone to gaze at the stars.