Caught

My heart jumped as I listened to the sound of the lock sliding and the door creaking open.

It wouldn't have been as bad if it was my dad. But it wasn't—it was much worse.

Instinct made me cram my body into a mostly empty cabinet before calming my breathing and sending Ember an SOS.

They're here

Who is?

Who do u think???
Caleb and Seth

Oh jesus why
K hiding now
We r soo dead if they catch us

Caleb wasn't just Ember's life long crush; he just happened to be my most overprotective older. Him, Carter, and Seth loved making sure I lived an sad, unfulfilling life.

wya

Under ur huge bucket. U?

kitchen cabinet

Inside???

yep

Crap
They're in here

What r they saying

"They gotta b here somewhere"
Chase and co realized we weren't there and snitched

I will kill them

I'll help

Where r they now?

When more than thirty seconds passed with no response, I knew the worst had happened.

I strained my ears and it didn't take long for me to hear Ember's begrudging steps as she followed them down the stairs.

"So where is she?" Seth asked.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

I cheered silently.

"So you just happened to be in my house at the same time my sister is missing? How'd you get in here then?" Caleb asked.

"She's missing?" she said with the fakest gasp I'd ever heard in my life.

God, I loved Ember, but she was a shitty liar.

"Where's Avy?" Seth demanded.

"Who?"

I choked, hand flying up to cover the sound of me dying.

Seth gave an exasperated sigh. "Caleb."

There was a moment of silence and then Caleb was saying something I couldn't make out, but I heard what Ember said loud and clear.

"Kitchen cabinet."

WHY? WHAT THE FXCK DID HE SAY TO HER?

I climbed out of the cabinet and bolted out the back kitchen door, through a couple of rooms, hearing Seth right on my heels.