Point Blank Period

I was mature enough to acknowledge that I had problems. My underage drinking problem, my recklessness and general lack of care for my wellbeing, my attitude problem and last but not least, my tendency to wake up late.

However, that was not the problem.

For once, I woke up on time but when I opened my eyes, my problems started when my focus lasered in on the familiar and entirely unwelcomed ache in my gut.

I scrambled to check the date and groaned. Fuck! It was going to be a long day.

The effects were already crashing into me as I hopped in the shower and got ready for school. I plodded downstairs and managed to get a small breakfast of buttered toast down as I waited for Ember, my stomach already bloating.

It was when my brothers started crashing downstairs one by one that nausea washed through me and I froze. It didn't happen every time, but when it did, it was bad.

Chad noticed my lack of movement and nudged me forward. "Are you gonna move or..."

I took a deep breath and when I didn't respond with a smart quip, like normal, he peered at me and frowned. "Avy? Your face is pale."

His words got the attention of my other brothers and five of them immediately crowded me. "What's wrong?" they asked.

I winced as nausea rolled through me once more. Was I really about to puke on the kitchen floor?

My dad walked in and noticed the crowd. "Move, move, move," he said, before laying a gentle hand on my head. "Avy? Honey, what's wrong?"

"Nauseous," I managed to choke out.

"Is it that time of the month?" he asked sympathetically.

I gave a low grubt, eyes closed and focusing on deep breathing.

"How bad is it? Do you think you can still go to school?"

I swallowed and nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just give me a second."

He tilted my head up, took in my sweaty face and told Carter to get a thermometer. Carter was back in seconds and my temperature was found to be 101.6°.

"Yeah, you're staying home today." He looked over my brothers. "Who's going to stay home with her?"

In the event that I had to stay home, someone was appointed to watch over me. I was trash at taking care of myself and I was also liable to sneak out.

Corey, Caleb and Carter volunteered and Dad scoffed. "All three of you are failing at least one class; I don't even know why you guys tried." His eyes darted to Calvin and Caden, before looking away.

Caden would burn the house down and Calvin was horrible at taking care of people. In our house, you had to be at least sixteen to miss school, so that left the triplets out and left Chad, who shook his head viciously.

"You're the only one left," Dad reminded Chad.

"Why can't you do it?" he protested.

"I have a job."

"You can't miss a day of work for your sick child?" Chad sputtered.

Chad had a tendency to be overdramatic when he wanted something, something I adopted from him as well.

My dad heaved a sigh before turning to me. "Car, do you want me to stay with you?"

I shook my head. "It's fine, Dad. Go to work, I'll be fine."

Chad glared at me before trying to argue his case again. "Well, what about Ember?"

My dad shook his head. "She has enough on her hands."