Chapter 16

After a long day of getting my bearings, I finally got into my bed. I pulled the covers up to my chin, and rested my head gently on the fluffed up pillow. I sighed as I closed my eyes, willing for sleep to come and swallow me whole.

I yawned, tossed and turned. But I couldn't shake the feeling that I was sleeping in an abandoned hotel, with two people that were close to me. It just all felt weird, causing my brain to still be active in thought.

What if my parents find out that I'm not in the ICU? What if Loretta notices the Confidential folder missing? What if Loretta calls my parents to tell them that I'm missing? So many possibilities, but little answers.

I'm probably just being paranoid, I reassured myself.

Just as I was about to drift off, when I heard heavy footsteps, and someone breathing heavily. I instantly sat upright. Could my parents have found out where I was? Why is someone in this hotel at ten in the evening?

The footsteps were louder, and echoed throughout the hotel. They were getting closer. I stealthily got up from my bed, and clutched to the Confidential folder. I then tiptoed to my nightstand, having speed dial at the ready. I saw a shadow hovering at my door. I quickly ran into my closet and locked the door. My hands were shaking with fear, all the while clinging to the folder for dear life. My breaths came out shakily, my face lost all of its color. I curled myself up into a little ball, hiding behind the mirror.

My heart stopped when I heard my door creak open.

I heard heavy footsteps, walking around my room. I heard the opening and closing of drawers. I unlocked my phone and texted Gaven.

Help. I need help! I think someone broke into my room. I'm hiding in the closet behind the mirror, and I locked the closet door too. Please help.

I waited for him to respond to my pleading text. I heard someone whisper, "Damn it! Where is it? And where's the girl?" It sounded masculine, his voice deep from hormones.

The girl?  Is this guy trying to get ahold of me? And what is it that he's looking for at an abandoned hotel?

I pushed myself up towards the wall, hoping I was concealed from view. I heard the man nearing the closet door. I gasped despite myself. I put my hand over my mouth, trying to control my nerves from spilling out.

C'mon Gaven. It's now or never.

I heard the man breathing heavily, now facing the closet door. I squished myself between the mirror and the wall, wishing that I could dissolve into the thin air around me. I held my breath, my heart beating out of my chest.

"Well, what are you waiting for, Ian?" Another man asked. His voice was more high-pitched. "Open it!" He said impatiently.

"Hold your horses, Calvin." Ian responded.

Calvin grunted in response.

I heard Ian shuffling around outside the door. I heard Calvin's foot tapping on the wooden floor anxiously.

"All right," Ian announced. "Let's do this."

I gulped nervously, a thousand butterflies swarming around in my stomach.

I head Ian's hand on the doorknob. He tried to turn it open, but it wouldn't budge from its lock. I smiled to myself.

Just as I thought Ian would give up, I heard a jingling sound of keys being pulled out. I assumed he handed them off to Calvin since Ian said, "Okay. You try it now."

I heard Ian step back away from the door, and Calvin filling in the vacated space. I heard Calvin fiddling with the keys, trying to find the one that would match. I heard a key being shoved into the keyhole, and I stiffened like a board. Calvin turned the key to the left, and I saw the doorknob turn slowly.

A dozen thoughts flowed to me at once. Who are these people? How did they get into this hotel? How did they retrieve a key that would unlock a closet door? What do they want from me? Is this going to be the end?

I heard my cell vibrate in my lap. My hope was hanging by a thread as I unlocked my phone. I looked at the text message, but it wasn't from Gaven or Chloe. An unknown caller left me a message.

We're coming for you, Natalie Holmes.

I gasped, my hope falling to the ground. Who are those people? How could those people know who I was? Why are they hunting down a sixteen year old girl who is currently suffering from GHB?  How did they get my number? Is it even from them? How did they find Gregg's Inn?

All of those thoughts faded away when I saw my closet door burst open.