Chapter 24

I kept running as I went into the dark woods. I kept snapping twigs and leaves under my feet as I ran. I distantly heard gunshots announce their presence somewhere far away from where I was. As I ran I kept thinking one phrase that motivated me to go faster with each passing step.

Just run; you aren't going to die if you just run.

I was panting, my feet hurt, and I was exhausted. But I kept going to the direction of Main Street. I had to get away from Calvin, away from Chloe's lifeless body, away from everything. And the only way I could do that was by running away from it all.

 I think I lost him, I thought to myself. I then slowed to a walk, relieved I could stop running for now. Everything just hit me like a punch to the gut; Chloe and Gaven were gone. My parents don't even know I'm in the woods, fighting to stay alive. Calvin is chasing me, trying to hunt me down, all for revenge of the death of Ian, which he caused himself. The GHB in my system was hopefully out of my system now, but I don't know if that actually happened since I escaped from the ICU. I don't know anything anymore.

I stopped walking and sat down on the twigs and leaves to take a break. I took in deep gulps of air, thankful to stop. My legs were burning since I ran for so long. My arms felt sore, tired of slicing through the air. After a little break, I got up again and started to walk. I heard a few cars in the distance on Main Street. I quickened my pace, eager to get out of the dark and dangerous woods.

* * *

I eventually made it on Main Street safe and sound. Relieved, I took a leisurely walk down the street. No cars were in sight and the lights that would light up the streets are off, so I couldn't see a thing. The only thing I could see were the stars. They glistened against the navy blue sky. The crescent moon appeared near the handful of stars above. I was walking aimlessly for a while, unable to pinpoint where I was.

Suddenly, I was tackled on the hard gravel. I was being crushed under the weight, I could barely breathe. My heart started to pound nervously, my hands began to tremble. What is happening? I squirmed under the massive weight on me, but it wouldn't budge. I heard a cackle coming from the person that was literally crushing me. My eyes widened as I figured out who it was. Tears stung my eyes as I tried to glance up to see him.

"G-Gaven?" I asked, panting. "Is that really you?"

He pushed off of me, allowing me to breathe again. His hair was tousled; windblown. His skin glowed in the moonlight, enhancing his facial features. His chocolate brown eyes stared into mine as he beamed at me. I was at a complete loss for words, so I just sat there grinning at him. Is this even real? Is he actually alive? Ian didn't actually kill him? Where was Gaven when I really needed him? I pushed all of those thought provoking questions to the back of my mind. I pulled Gaven in a tight hug, glad to see him again.

Then we got up and started walking on Main Street again. We were silent for a while; I still had a smile plastered to my face with his hand in mine. I just couldn't believe it was happening. I couldn't believe that he was right here, right now. I was absolutely baffled.

"So," Gaven started. "Where's Chloe?"

That question stopped me in my tracks. Gaven stopped walking as well, a confused look on his face as he stared into my eyes. I couldn't look at him as I said the answer. I looked down at my shoes instead. "She's. . . Gone."

Gaven stepped in front of me, taking both of my hands in his. "What do you mean, by her being gone?"

A lump formed in my throat. "She's. . . Dead." Tears threatened to swallow me, but I continued. "Ian killed her right in front of me." I couldn't hold the tears back anymore so I leaned into Gaven and sobbed. I heard Gaven sobbing along with me.