Chapter 3

The day after Gaven's explosion, I went home and up to my room. I called Chloe and spilled about what had happened. 

"Really?" Chole said after I was done. "He's just pissed off at you all because you didn't go to his football games? That's so stupid! He shouldn't have broken up with you just because of that!" 

I paused. "It wasn't just that." 

"What else, then?" 

I paused again, taking a breath. "I don't know. I just said I was busy and he just freaked out on me."

"I'm coming over there right now." Chole announced to me. 

"No, Chloe, it's fine—" 

 But she already hung up on me and in minutes I heard the doorbell ring. "I'll get it!" I called from my room. I darted down the stairs and opened the door. Chloe was standing before me, her wallet in her hand. Her purse was draped around her shoulder. 

"Hey," Chloe said. "Let's go on a little trip." 

"To the mall?" 

"No," Chloe replied. 

"Then where?" I asked. 

"Follow me," Chloe said. 

After I told my parents that I was going with Chloe, we were off to some unknown destination. I looked out the window of her muted red Jeep, the trees a blur as we cruised down the highway. It was getting dark out, the sky now a light shade of pink. Then the sun disapeared in the horizon as the moon went to take its place. 

"Where are we going?" I asked, turning to her. 

Chloe shrugged as she veered into the left lane. "Relax. It's going to be fun! And don't worry, it's not that fancy. It's actually casual, so your outfit's good." 

"So, you don't know where you're going," I clarified slowly. 

"Of course I know where I'm going!" Chole said. "We're going to a club." 

"A club," I repeated. "You think I'm in a partying mood right now? I just had Gaven yell in my face yesturday and you suggest that we go partying?" 

"Just don't drink too much," Chole answered. "I think that partying will get your mind off of things. It has that affect on people." 

I snorted. "Yeah right." 

******************************************************************************************************************* 

Once we got to the club, the music was blaring loudly. I followed Chole in and alcohol instantly filled my nostrils. It was pitch plack, minus the dance floor which was glowing with people on it. There was a bar, a bunch of tables and chairs, and  a lot of people. It was suffocatingly crowded. Chole and I tried to squeeze past people just to get to an empty table. 

A bunch of guys who were older than us were drinking beer near our table. One guy, who had messy brown hair, stumbled over to us. 

"Do any of you ladies want a beer?" He slurred. 

Before Chole could respond, I said, "Sure. I'll come with you." 

As I got up, Chole's eyes widened. I dismissed her as I walked over to the keg with the Messy-Brown-Haired-Guy.  As we were walking, I had to practically yell in his face to be heard over the music. "What's your name?" 

Then, he yelled back, "Kevin! You?" 

"Natalie!" I screamed. 

"Cool!" Kevin replied. 

Once at the keg, he filled up my cup with beer. He then handed it to me, and I took it. As I was walking back to Chole, I took in my surroundings. People dancing on each other, some sitting and some standing there talking with friends. I squeezed past a couple who were grinding on each other.  

I took a sip of my beer, and pretty soon I was on the dance floor dancing with Chole and Kevin. Then I took another beer. And another one. And then two more. 

Next thing I knew, I didn't see Chole or Kevin or anyone. A sea of black covered my eyes and that was all I could see.