Chapter 18

"Where?" Chloe asked nervously. "Where should we go?"

I cupped my hands over her ear and whispered the location. She then nodded at me. We bolted out of Gregg's Inn and headed out.

* * *

When we arrived, the house looked gloomy. The paint was chipping off, the driveway needed plowing, and the plants were hanging on by a thread. However, the appearance doesn't matter. It's what's inside that made it beautiful. Literally.

Chloe nudged the door open and together we went in. We were in an inconspicuous location, somewhere they would never look. However, we all knew where it was.

Chloe's house.

It might sound silly, being in Chloe's old, grungy house. But, Ian and Calvin only searched me from what I can tell. They only wanted information on me, since they tried to take my folder, invaded an old hotel, and cornered me in my own closet, trying to get information out of me. The worst part, I don't know why they did all of that.

I also don't know whether Gaven is safe or not. Chloe and I abandoned him with the two invaders, leaving him to fend for himself. It soon dawned on me that it was so stupid to leave him with Ian and Calvin.

Ian had a gun. And he wasn't afraid to pull it out and use it.

"C'mon Natalie," Chloe said, snapping me from my daze. "We don't have much time."

Chloe then led me to the basement, which I had never been down before. Chloe always told me that it was for her dad's woodwork supplies, but I knew better. I knew that she wasn't telling me the truth, and going down here now justifies that.

In the basement, it is dark and musky. There was dust on multiple pieces of furniture. Going deeper into the basement, Chloe led me to a small sitting area with a couch and a chair facing the black TV. I cautiously stepped around the furniture, as if a pool of lava were right next to me. Chloe led me past that room and opened a narrow door with a creak.

I cringed at the sound, worried someone was upstairs. Chloe tip-toed inside, motioning me to follow. Once in the narrow space, I closed the door gently. Confused, I turned to face Chloe. "Where are we? Why are we in this little space? Why do you even have this door if you never—”

Chloe intrudes. "Well, this was supposed to be a storage closet. But, we hardly ever used this space because for one it was so small. Two, we kind of forgot about it since it took up little space. But we do have a few things back here." She gestured to a pile of books that I could barely see.

"Oh." I replied, speechless. "So, should I text Gaven that we're here?"

"Uh, yeah!" Chloe said as if it were obvious.

I sighed at her in response and pulled out my phone.

Hey we're in Chloe's house. In the basement, in a small and cramped closet. Slender door. I think you'll be able to find it.

Once I sent the message, Chloe looked at me, her eyes full of curiosity. "Do you know who Ian and Calvin are? Do you even know why and how they found you? Do you know what they wanted from you that was so important?"

I held up a hand to tell her to stop. "No, I don't know who they are. No, I don't know why or how they found me. All I know is that they want a lot of information about me. That is why they tried to take my folder. They obviously knew what was in there. I heard that they also talked to Loretta, my nurse at the ICU."

Chloe's mouth went agape. "No way," she breathed.

My phone vibrated. I looked down at it.

Okay. Be right there. Thanks for telling me.

"Natalie, what's wrong?" Chloe asked, seeing the panic settle on my face.

She looked at the screen and her eyes widened.

From Ian.