Chapter 6

The next day, I walked into the waiting room. I didn't see my parents, or Chloe. The person I saw was in a chair reading a month old magazine, and was dressed in a white T-shirt and pale blue jeans. His hair was tousled and askew, his eyes red-rimmed from lack of sleep. His deep chocolate brown eyes had a determined look about them, like he was ready to march into my room and see me. 

That person was Gaven. The last person that I would expect to see sitting in the waiting room of the ICU on a Saturday morning. Considering he got all worked up at me for just not going to his football games, and yet he's in front of me reading a magazine, just makes me pissed off. I mean, he made it loud and clear that we were over, yet he strolls into the ICU to see me? Why do guys have to be so confusing? Seriously, just tell me how you really feel instead of making it a mystery! 

And here he is, walking up to the information desk of the ICU asking to see me. The nurse just shakes her head at him, and Gaven's shoulders slump down a little. To my horror I see my nurse, Loretta, see this exchange and then before I know it she's grabbing Gaven by the arm and dragging him to my hospital room door. As shocking as this was, I continued to follow them back into my bedroom. 

Nurse Loretta told the same thing that she told Chloe to do, and then Gaven was off on his own. Gaven carefully pulled the door open with a loud creak. Once he was in, he closed the door gently behind him.  

I can't believe this. 

Gaven pulled up a chair beside my pale, frail body. He then cleared his throat and began to speak to me. "I know I am the last person that you expect to talk to. But I don't want you gone. You are so young and beautiful. To see you here, in the ICU, just kills me. I know we had a bad conversation before this. I have to admit, I overreacted. Unfortunately, one of my traits is being a very low tempered person. That's the one thing I hate about myself."  

Gaven paused, taking in a shaky breath. "So I just want to say that I'm sorry for the way I acted towards you. This is all my fault, that you're here. I shouldn't have blown up in your face. I just wanted to spend some time with you." Tears sprung to Gaven's eyes. "I wish that I could just take my outburst back. I should have kept it in. But, of course, I didn't." Gaven chuckled a little as the tears slid down his cheeks. He hastily shoved them away.

"I just hope that if—when you recover from your coma, I hope that we could rekindle what we had," Gaven concluded. He then got up and walked to the door. He looked back at my pale, motionless face before going out of the ICU.

Later in the day, Nurse Loretta came into my room with a yellow notepad to record how well I was doing. Unfortunately, I was doing worse and I could tell because she just frowned at the machinery and me. She scribbled a few nurse terms, but from what I could understand is that I am in a mild coma that I might not wake up from.

 C'mon! You can do it! I urged myself. Wake up! Wake up from this nightmare! 

All of a sudden the machines started freaking out. They were beeping and buzzing like crazy, and I saw some color form in my cheeks. I saw the fog of my breath from the breathing mask, and pretty soon Loretta and her posse of nurses were hovering over me like a flock of birds.