Chapter 20

Ian then dropped the bat onto the floor and started to climb into the cramped space. My heart started to pound loudly in my chest, anxiously waiting for Ian to do something. I saw Calvin climb in after him. I hoped and prayed that Chloe remained silent throughout. So far, she's remaining still and quiet which is good.

Meanwhile, Ian and Calvin stood there panting; eyes on me. I find myself breathing heavily, but it was out of nervousness, not exhaustion.

I then heard a light whisper coming from Ian to Calvin.

"Grab her arms. I'll get her legs."

What are they going to do with me? Why do they want me so badly? What happened to Gaven? Is he okay? Is he

I suddenly was tackled by Calvin, which interrupted my thoughts. He pinned me to the floor of the cramped closet. Now in control, Calvin then hoisted me up by pulling on my wrists. I landed on my feet as Calvin held on tightly to my wrists. He put them over my head and around my back, as if I was getting arrested. Nervous beads of sweat rolled down my forehead, but I couldn't wipe them away, so they just tumbled down my cheeks and onto the floor. Calvin nudged me forward, making me get closer to Ian. Calvin still held to my wrists as I slowly moved forward. 

Once I stopped moving, I was staring right into Ian's brown, ferocious eyes. He stared right back, as if he was waiting for me to say or do something. Calvin was at my back, gripping my wrists.

"Where's Gaven?" I asked.

Ian stood there, pondering on what to say to me. After what seemed like an eternity, he finally spoke six little words that broke my heart into pieces.

"Gaven is no longer with us."

My heart shattered in pain. I began to sob, but then I stopped. It's their fault. It's all their fault. Then again, it was also my fault. I mean if I hadn't gotten drugged, then he probably would still be here. If Ian and Calvin hasn't stalked me, then he would have still been alive, still breathing in the fresh air. Tears threatened to come tearing down my face, but I wouldn't let them come. I couldn't show these two stalkers my weakness. Instead, I glanced up at Ian again, anger swirling in my veins.

"Why did you kill him? Why? So you could steal his phone? Was it because he started to figure out something about the two of you? How could you be so cruel?" I was practically yelling at him now, but I didn't care. I just wanted answers.

However, he didn't answer me at all. In fact, Ian found some duct tape, ripped a piece, and placed it over my mouth. He whispered in my ear, "Shut up. I'll give you answers later. All you have to do is let us carry you out. Understand?"

I nodded, afraid of what he might do to me if I didn't. Ian smiled at me, but it didn't reach his eyes. He carefully lifted my legs from the floor and gripped my ankles with his fat hands. Calvin followed in suit; he lifted my arms over my head and carried me that way. Together, they slowly carried me upstairs.

My heart was pounding, and I suddenly snapped. I couldn't control my emotions and the wave of anger that flooded through me. As soon as Ian opened the front door, I elbowed Calvin in the shoulder, making him release my wrists and leave my upper body dangling. I quickly ripped the duct tape off my lips and began to scream at the top of my lungs. I kicked and thrashed against Ian's grip on my ankles. Finally, I managed to kick him in the face and he stumbled onto the ground. I instantly got up from the ground, and stopped screaming. I was panting instead, trying to calm myself down. Ian and Calvin lay on the freshly cut grass, staring at me. They didn't move and nor did I. I knew once I started running, they would run after me.

I then waited just as they both got up and walked towards me. Then, I bolted from Chloe's house and ran away from them. I forced myself to keep going, to never look back to see if they were gaining on me. That would slow me down. I sped across lawns, sidewalks, streets. I didn't even recognize where I was. All I knew was that I had to keep running.

I kept running and when I got into the woods, I tried to keep my speed steady. However, the rocks and leaves made it hard to run since it wasn't level ground. But I kept going. I stopped, in the midst of trees. I looked back to see Ian and Calvin sprinting towards me.

I panted, unsure of what to do. Should I keep running? Should I try and go onto the main roads or a crowded neighborhood? I didn't have that much time. I decided to keep going straight. When I started up again, I could tell they were gaining on me. I heard their footsteps trampling over the leaves, rocks, and the tree roots that got in the way.

"Stop!" Ian yelled.

I ran faster, my legs screaming at me to stop.

I heard a gunshot course through the air. I kept going despite the fact that Ian had a gun and wasn't afraid to use it. I knew that if I stopped, they would win. They would win the battle, and I couldn't let them win. I wouldn't let them win. I needed to keep running for my life since it was on the line.

Bang. Another gunshot, making me push myself even harder. My muscles ached, my heart was pounding, and I felt weak. But I kept going. I never stopped running. I saw bullets out of the corner of my eye fly past me.

Just keep running and they won't catch you.

That was what I kept thinking as I was sprinting through the woods, the trees blurring around me. I was exhausted, tired of running. Tired of being afraid. Tired of being nervous. Most of all, I was tired of darting away from my problems. I had to face them somehow.

But not like this.

Just keep running and they won't catch you.

My feet felt numb from running on uneven ground for so long. If only I could just take a rest . . .

Just keep running and they won't catch you.

I heard another bang from the gun. I sensed that it was at a closer range than the last two were. Ian yet again missed me. I didn't look back, because if I did, I would be toast.

Just keep running and they won't catch you.

Then, I felt it. I felt a prick at the back of my right shoulder.