Prologue

𝐒𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐚

"Sit still"

"do not speak unless spoken to"

"Keep your eyes downcast, you should know better than to look a man in the eye"

"How ridiculous you sound, you better get those silly thoughts out of your head, those things are not meant for young ladies like you"

These are the type of things I was told while growing up, women were always undervalued in my town, we always have been.
A woman who birthed daughters and not even one son was considered cursed, and looked down upon in society.

A son was seen as a blessing, a pathway and shortcut to power, but we on the other hand were always seen as extra baggage weighing everyone else down.

Once we girls were born, we had a life plan laid out for us, every detail, every word in that life plan has to be lived out.

Whether you agreed to or not, whether you liked it or not, your opinion did not matter.
You would live just how they wanted you to live, marry who they saw fit, birth them their heirs, and if you did not want to...

"There is always that one cliff on the edge of town, you are more than welcome to do what you see fit, over there" I once remember being told.

That is just how life is for us, tolerate it or just bring it to an end.

Once you reach a certain stage of education, you are forced to drop out, you have no other option.
"Learn to stay at home instead, it is better to learn how to maintain your household, learn how to serve and care for your husband, stay out of the men's work, you will never understand it anyways" they would always tell me.

But even with their constant reminders of how little I am in this man's world, I am not having any of this nonsense.
How come my brothers get to go to school and I can't? and all just because of my body features?
It does not make any sense to me.
A person's body should never be the only impression of them.
It is completely ridiculous.

My life sucks and all but I am grateful that I don't have it half as bad as the other women of my community.
Only because my father runs this city, every corner of it, he has authority over the citizens, the government and even the police, he has connections all over the world and has monopolized the business industry.

Everybody knows who he is, and knows just how much they do not want to get on his bad side.
His ruthlessness and powerful aura is enough to make even the toughest man fall to his knees.

But to me, he is just...father.

Emotionally unavailable most of the time, to literally all of us so I really do not know where I stand on his radar.
He never shows any form of dislike towards me, but also not much love or support for my ambitions.

He is just...there when he needs to be.

Anything I ask of him, I will receive,
providing me with all my needs and wants is all that we have between each other, almost like one of his business contracts, it has always been like that, ever since I was a child.

✦✦✦

On my nineteenth birthday after I had been thinking about it for hours and finally gathered up my courage, I walked into my father's office, one of the places I am not supposed to be.