Chapter 29

𝐒𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐚

"Don't worry, I can help myself out, you go on ahead" Alden reassures me, giving me a gentle push in the direction of the door,
I turn to face him, giving him a brief nod, before hurrying out of the study, trying to calm my racing heart

Adonis is standing near the entrance of the hall, his eyes trained on me and it's only a matter of seconds before he puts two and two together.
Every muscle in my body is tensed as I wait for him to approach.
I can feel his presence getting closer and I brace myself for the impact.
But the next time I hear his footsteps, they stop.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath, preparing for the worst.
I don't open them until after Adonis speaks.
"What were you doing in there?", his voice is laced with an unsettling calmness.

I can't bring myself to look at him, "I was just strolling around the house", I reply on impulse.
"Strolling?", his tone is incredulous, making me realize how stupid I probably sounded, "And why's that you decide to only make a stop at my office, Sienna?".
I bite my lip, trying to think of an excuse as to why I was snooping around here, but nothing comes to mind.

"Whatever, It's not important" he suddenly dismisses me, "I need you to attend an event with me later tonight,
6 PM, be ready" Is all he says before turning away and striding off.
It takes me by surprise, our little encounter, I stand rooted in my spot for a few moments longer, unsure of what to do, It takes a few long minutes for his words to sink in.

An event with him?

An event where we would have to act as if everything between us is as good as it can be?
As if we're a happy couple?
I don't want to go. I don't even know what he wants from me. But I guess this is better than staying here with him, trapped in this hellhole.
With a heavy sigh, I slump my shoulders and trudge my way downstairs.
Once I reach the ground floor, I immediately start moving towards the gardens.

I stop abruptly in front of a tall, wide, window that leads to the patio of the garden. The glass pane is foggy with the summer heat but somehow as soon as I reach for them.
I push them open, breathing in the fresh air.
It hits me like a gust of wind and I lean my back against the door, closing my eyes in relief.
"Hey," A familiar voice calls out to me.
I look up in the direction of the fence just in time to spot Alden, Archer is right beside him, glaring coldly at me.

"I'll see you soon" Alden calls out, a bright smile spread across his face, contrasting his elder brother.
Making me realise just how much of polar opposites they are.

I smile and wave back at him, nodding my head.
He winks at me, stepping back before disappearing behind a row of bushes with Archer.

I stroll through the gardens for the next hour, still occupied with my never-ending thoughts, the silence that follows isn't uncomfortable but instead...strange enough.
Pushing me to head back inside.

I reluctantly step back into the main hallway, my mind swirling with thoughts, none of which are pleasant.
There are too many questions that keep coming back to haunt me. How could I not have seen it before? Why didn't I just ask what his motives were?
Why would he want to bring me along to whatever event he was headed to if all I ever do is make him mad?

As I reach the foyer, I notice that the house feels oddly empty today, I mean, it is usually pretty quiet, but today, there's this sort of eerie feeling hanging over us.

The first thing I see when I walk back into my room, is the sight of Adonis, laying across the bed, his face buried in one of the pillows. He's shirtless, his muscular frame exposed in all its glory, his chest rises and falls rhythmically, his hair dishevelled.