Chapter 31

𝐒𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐚

The event continues smoothly on its own for the first thirty minutes of the evening, and I stand by the bar, watching as people dance to a lively song, some are swaying in rhythm with their dancing partners, and most seem to be laughing heartily at some funny remark made by one of the others. The crowd is so thick that I'm partly glad to be watching from the outlines.

Adonis stands beside me, his face blank, his expression blank but a suspicious spark of interest gleams in his eyes as he stares straight ahead.
He doesn't appear to mind my company and he hasn't said much after Mr Cauley introduced us to the guests, but for the past 10 minutes, his eyes have been glued to a certain person, for a lot longer than I would like.

I follow his gaze, noticing that his eyes haven't left Archer since we got here, or rather...the lady in his arms.

At first, when I saw it, I couldn't believe my eyes, Aisha, dressed to the nines in pink lace, her hair flowing down her back like a waterfall.
And a bright smile plastered across her face as she gazed up at Archer, the fascination in her eyes, unmistakable, but now, even more apparent is the look on Archer's face.
His lips have quirked into a slight smirk, the corners barely lifted, and his eyes sparkle slightly as if he's amused, that is quite possibly the most emotion I have seen him show.

My stomach twists into knots as I watch Adonis stare at her as if he can't help himself, while I know full well it's not true.
I'm here with him and yet, he's not here with me, at least not mentally.

He seems completely oblivious to everything around him, except for her.
He seems so entranced, almost hypnotized by her charms. To the point where I am sure he could never look this way at any other woman.
It's obvious he loves her. There's no need to doubt that anymore, he is in love with her, and there is nothing wrong with that apart from the fact that I am his wife and he is quickly gathering himself attention with how much he's looking at her, which, honestly, has me feeling uneasy.

It's so frustrating how easily he is straying from his own plan, just at the mere sight of her, how she's making his brain go blank every single moment he looks at her.
"Adonis" I call, breaking his trance. He blinks rapidly before turning to look at me.
"Right..." he mutters, clearing his throat before taking my hand in his, "Why don't we have the first dance?" he slowly kisses my hand, never breaking eye contact with me as he leads us towards the dancefloor.

Just as the current song comes to an end, a slower, less upbeat melody rolls into its place.
The slow ballad plays in the background, while our feet begin to move automatically, our eyes locked on each other, both of our faces void of expressions.
As soon as I think it, I feel him pull me closer towards him, his chest pressed against mine, his lips near my ear as he whispers, "You should smile more, Sienna, your happiness seems highly pretentious.

"I have been smiling, and maybe you would've noticed if you hadn't been so busy ogling my little sister," I say with the sweetest smile, that bypassers don't even notice the tension between us.

Lines of frustration dent his mouth as he stares down at me, seemingly unimpressed.
Adonis wraps his arms tighter around my waist, pulling me so close to him that I'm sure we can't get any closer, and presses his face against my neck, his lips brushing against my ear.
"Just do what I brought you here to do Sienna" he whispers, shivers tingling down my spine at the proximity "And keep your nose out of my business" he finishes, pressing a soft lingering kiss to my neck before pulling away.

A neighbouring couple dancing alongside us, stares at us in awe before quickly looking away, obviously embarrassed about our intimate moment.

"If only you would listen to me and wouldn't be such a pain...then maybe you wouldn't be half as bad" he whispers, I roll my eyes and try to step away from Adonis, but his grip tightens around my waist. "Careful, you might gather unwanted attention" he whispers against my ear, releasing me and taking a few steps back before twirling me back into his arms.