𝖢𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 18

𝐒𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐚

There are only three days left until my wedding day and I'm dreading every second as it passes by, because this means that I'll be spending the rest of my entire life with him. The thought alone makes me want to run away and leave all of this behind.
I will be living with him for as long as I live, not just as a spouse, but as a lover and mother of the children everyone is soon going to expect me to bear.

My heart is heavy as I ponder over what will happen in the near future.
Mother called me up to her room because she says she has something important to discuss with me and when I went up to see what it was, as soon as I got closer, I immediately started feeling anxious. She has been acting a lot nicer than usual lately, I supposed it might have just been due to the fact that she's in charge of the wedding preparations.
But now I'm starting to have second thoughts.

As we sit on the edge of her bed together, mother starts talking, but even though she tries to look sympathetic, I can tell that there is something about this conversation that is very important, so I decide to listen.
"I understand how immensely pressured you must be feeling during these hard times, but as your mother, it is my responsibility to have this talk with you before your wedding." she begins hesitantly.

"What did you want to talk about?" I ask her softly.
She sighs. "I suppose the best way to start this discussion off, would be with an apology..." she trails off nervously.
"Mother, please just get to the point-"

"It's best I apologise because I don't even know how you are going to take this"
she continues.
"As you already know, our town is run on a strict set of rules and traditions, but that is exactly what makes us who we are"

Even though I'm still confused as to what she's trying to say, I nod in agreement.
"The tradition of having your first child before your early twenties is one that has always remained strong since time immemorial" she explains.
"You must never refuse your husband, you are going to have to learn to treat him right if you wish to live a happily married life" she explains.
I feel sick to my stomach. "This is the thing you wanted to talk to me about? My marriage was doomed from the moment you announced it, no tradition can make it any more worse than it already is so you best believe that I am not going to follow through with your bizarre rules and traditions" I hiss at her.

"I just meant that...well, you are young enough to be able to give birth safely," she says.
"We may not agree on many things, but don't you think that we need to stick to tradition, we need to maintain peace in this community and we cannot risk ruining this tradition by breaking our own laws," she says.

I feel my stomach drop at the horrid suggestion in her words.
"And why must we follow the traditions? Why is it so necessary to adhere to them? If you're basically saying that I should let him do as he pleases to me then in your opinion, mother, how is that any different from what Trevor did to me?
Do you see what is wrong with our community?"

If possible, mother looks more upset than before.

"You're being unreasonable, I know you're still young but you have to learn how to bend your ways to fit certain conditions," she says softly as if afraid she'd scare me away.

"How am I supposed to bend my ways when it comes to letting him do whatever he wants to me?" I snap back angrily.
Mother takes a deep breath before replying. "I have already done my part, what you decide to do from here on is up to you, for starters, you're getting married in three days, time. It would be good for both of you to spend some time with each other, especially before the baby is born" she states firmly.
"Mother, I've known Adonis since I was ten years old, and you better believe that there is nothing that is going to change my mind about the fact that this marriage is wrong.
I will never live at ease with him"
I hate myself for being so harsh, but honestly, what does she expect from me after everything she has put me through? All the times I had to endure humiliation, and abuse coming from my own people.

Her eyes fill with pretense tears and then she stands up and goes towards the door.
When she opens it, a few seconds later, Father and Adonis are standing outside.
Father looks worried but Adonis is as emotionless as a rock.

"I told you she wouldn't understand" mum grits in his face before stomping off.
Adonis looks between the both of them with a puzzled look before entering further into the room.
He comes closer and sits down next to me on the bed, taking my hand between his.

"They are asking for your ring size," he says, his eyes filled with disinterest.

He pulls out a ring box from his suit jacket and picks up the ring with his index finger, holding it up to examine it carefully. His cold fingers press against my skin as he slides the diamond gem down my ring finger.
I watch as his expression changes ever so slightly.

A wince taking over his features for a brief second before returning to its normal state. He lets go of my hand and I pull my hand away quickly, and watch as he pushes himself to his feet, leaving the room without another word.
Father follows after him without hesitation.
I try to ignore the fact that I saw a hint of regret flash across both of their faces.

✦✦✦