Chapter 28

Alec's POV

Marco turns back to me. "Forgive me for my daughter's actions. Now, let's get to as to why you are here, shall we?"

I nod my head slowly. "Go on."

Marco clears his throat. "You know and heard of my business, correct?" He asks me. I nod my head again in return. "So my sweet Veronica thinks she will be taking over someday. But I cannot trust her not to crumble this place. So I am asking you to take over once after I retire."

I stare at him in shock. Veronica wouldn't be too happy to hear this. "Why me, why not your brother?" I shoot back in return.

"Because you have always been like a son to me, even though my daughter did you wrong, I still would like to offer you this. You can take it or leave. But Alec, you are the only person I know that is capable of doing so. My brother if a fraud, but you are not. I will let think about this." He replies and stands back up.

I stand as well and he offers his hand for me to shake and I do. "Thank you sir." I say with a nod. He nods back at me and gestures to the doors, signaling that this conversation is over.

"Take Veronica's car, she doesn't need it anymore." Marco says as he tosses me the keys to her Porsche. I smile wickedly and open the front door. I head to Veronica's car and hop inside. I might need to get someone to wash this for me. It reeks of her perfume she thinks smells good. Finally over. Veronica is done and the best part, I get to go home to see my Briar. Who I hope misses me just as I did her.

♡☺︎♡

The sky is dark when I return. The rain is pouring and the thunder loud. I make a turn into our neighborhood and park the car on the sidewalk. I walk up in the rain to Briar's house and knock on the door.

♡☺︎♡

Briar's POV

"It's pouring outside." I say to myself as I look out the window. It was a gloomy day to begin with. I constantly think about Alec. Like how he's doing. What he's doing. Is he thinking about me? Does he regret everything he said? Is he sad? Has he moved on? Or is he completely happy and moved to Canada with the love of his life and a cat? Okay maybe I'm overthinking this situation. By a lot. I mean Alec is a dog person, of course he won't get a cat. Unless his future wife does. Here comes the waterworks. I cry way too much.

Just then a fancy porsche pulls into our driveway. I do not remember anyone owning such a lavishing car. Then out steps the man who has my heart. Alec.

He walks in the rain, all while getting soaked wet and cold. It didn't help how the thunder boomed while he takes long strides......to my house. What is he doing? 

I feel my heartbeat even faster. He's heading directly over to my house. What's gonna happen? What am I gonna say? Why is he coming here? His house is literally like 3 minutes away. Oh gosh. There is a knock on the front door and I just know it's Alec.

Who else could it be?

I walk over to the front door slowly and cautiously, hoping he doesn't sense that I was watching him as he looks Godlike in the rain walking to my front door. Keep it together Briar. Chill.

I reluctantly open the door. And yep, I was indeed correct. Alec stands on my front porch, all drenched in rain water. I can't imagine how cold he must be. The wind picks up and it even blows my hair into my face even though I'm standing inside my house. But Alec is like immune to the cold as he doesn't even as much shiver.

"Alec." I say as he stands there looking at me. "What're you--" I get cut off as Alec grabs me by my waist and pulls me in close for a long, passionate kiss. 

Oh how I've missed this kiss. Wait, Briar pull away! Remember what he said to you? All those hurtful comments. I pull away. "Alec you can't just do that." I say, my brows furrowing. 

Who does he think he is? Breaking my heart after saying those things to me and coming back weeks later, in the cold rain, and knocks on my front door and as I ask him what the heck he is doing here he kisses me?

"Briar, can we talk? Please I want to explain everything to you." He says still holding on to me. I tilt my head to one side.

"Why? Just so you can say those things again?" I ask, please do not start crying Briar. You are doing great so far.

He shakes his head. "No, Briar I promise you. I'll explain everything just let me." He practically begs. 

As the nice person I am, with a sigh I step back, allowing him to enter my house. "Are you cold?" I ask him. He just shakes his head. I take a seat on the couch while Alec sits on the stool, as to not get any of my furniture wet. "Explain." I say crossing my legs. This better be good.

And so he does. He explains everything to me. Every little detail to when he got the phone call. His ex had called him. Her name was Veronica and something about her family being pretty powerful. I don't get it. But he wouldn't tell me what they do so I just let it go. Then he proceeded to tell me the threat she made to him. How she said she's end me if Alec didn't follow through. Now I feel terrible. I mean I didn't say anything bad to him so I should feel like this. He had no choice. Then he told me about her father who offered him to take over his business. Then Veronica who is probably now grounded for life. At the end, Alec ended up sitting on the couch with me snuggled up next to him.

"I'm sorry." I say.

He pulls back to look at me. "For what? You didn't do anything wrong?" He says.

"I know I just, I feel like such a terrible person. Like I know you would never actually mean it but when you said it I just believed you. And I'm sorry for that." I reply with a sad smile.

He grips my chin and leans in close for a kiss. Then pulls away. "Apology accepted if you accept mine." 

"What for?" I ask.

"Saying those things to you."

"You had no choice."

"But just accept my apology."

"Okay fine. Apology accepted." I say and we kiss once again.

"So, will you be my girlfriend again?" He asks after a moment of silence. A wide smile forms on my face.

"Yes" I sang happily. "I will be your girlfriend again." 

"Briar." Alec asks when it goes silent again.

"Hmm?" I humm in response.

"I love you." He says and I freeze. He loves me. Do I love him? Of course I do. Then what are you waiting for Briar just flipping say it already!

"I love you too."

♡☺︎♡