Starlight's Story: A Huge Favor

“Oh…yeah…I can see how that would be difficult.” Nat-mo replied, awkwardly running her hoof through her mane. “Sorry for assuming that of you.” 

“It’s okay, that means I’m doing a good job of hiding it.” I replied, smiling weakly. 

“If you don’t mind me asking, why can’t you fly?” She asked.

“I’ve just never gotten to learn how.” I replied. 

“Oh…well…maybe I could help you learn, if you’d like.” She offered. 

“Really? You would do that for me?” I asked, my heart pounding a mile a minute in excitement.

“Sure.” She replied with a smile.

“Wait a second, how are you going to teach me how to fly if you can’t fly? Or is there a spell for that?” I asked.

“Well, there is a spell for it, but it’s really advanced and only lasts temporarily…but I can do some research about flight and maybe come up with some ideas on how to try to get you airborne.” She replied, walking to a book shelf. 

“Well, I would really appreciate any help you are able to offer.” I replied, a smile spread across my face at the very idea of flight. 

“Of corse, but we’ll have to start tomorrow, the sun will set soon, and I need to be home before dark.” Nat-mo said, choosing a book and clopping over to her saddlebag. 

“Oh, okay. So…umm…see you tomorrow?” I asked, putting on my saddlebag as well. Then I glanced at the strange book, which seemed to glow. I clopped over to it and picked it up, putting it in my saddlebag.

“Absolutely, and I’ll be sure to get to school early so I can tell you what I find…hey, why are you taking the star book?” Nat-mo asked. I thought quickly, I needed an explanation other than ‘Oh, I’m psyco and can see words and pictures.’ 

“I thought I could put little paper notes in there about what I’ve discovered, for anyone who is also looking for information.” I tried, hoping she would buy it.

“Oh, okay. I look forward to learning what you know.” She said, opening the door with her magic. We both clopped out and she closed the door behind her. “See you tomorrow!” She called as she galloped towards the town. 

“Bye!” I called after her, waving with my hoof. I watched until she was out of sight, then I clopped to the towns square. Most of the shops had closed, including Rose’s flower shop.