Starlight's Story: Determining Daisies

I closed the journal, my thoughts whirling about me. I’d only been a day, and I had’t thought through the whole food thing. Only two apples could fit in my saddle bag along with my other belongings, and I’d already run out. Sighing, I looked out at the night sky, Princess Celestia’s sunlight starting to transition the sky into day. I had to figure something out, or I’d starve. Not knowing what else to do, I put on my saddlebag and walked down the narrow staircase I’d built. By now the sky was bright, the sun in full glow above the land. I looked towards the town to see ponies starting to open their shops. I galloped towards the plaza, perhaps I could do some small jobs to earn some bits for meals, maybe save so that I could get materials to make a pillow. 

When I entered the plaza, I spotted a white pony with a red mane and tail setting out flowers. I watched as she walked over to open her awning, allowing me to see her cutiemark, a rose. Taking a deep breath I approached her. She noticed me before I had an opportunity to speak.

“Why, hello, you’re here quite early, what can I do for you?” She greeted.

“Umm…hello. I was wondering if I might be able to help you around your shop, maybe in exchange for a few bits?” I asked nervously.

“You’re pretty young, may I ask why you’re in need of the bits? Are you all right?” She asked, adopting a look of concern. I quickly thought of an answer.

“I wanted to save up for something special.” I answered. It was true, but wether or not everypony thought making a pillow was “special” I didn’t know.

“Oh, okay then. I would love for you to help me around.” She replied. “My name is Rose, what’s yours?” 

“My name is Starlight.” I replied, taking off my saddlebag. “What would you like me to do?” 

“It would be great if you could water the flowers, the watering can is underneath the table with the daisies.” She replied, turning to put out more flowers. I already had a small problem, I assumed ‘daisies’ were a type of flower, but which ones I was completely unsure. I looked under each table for the watering can, finding it under a table with white flowers with yellow centers each bearing about twelve petals. I hooked my hoof around the handle and pulled it toward me. Thankfully it wasn’t very heavy. I picked it up and trotted around, making sure all of the pots received water. 

I got most of the way though when I ran out of water. I moved the watering can over to Rose, when a commotion stirred near the fountain. I walked to the front of the store to see what was going on. I was surprised to see my parents and sister talking to a tan earth pony with a grey mane wearing reading glasses. She nodded her head, and clopped to stand in the central building’s entrance way. The crowd hushed as she took her place.

“Hello my fellow ponies, I am sad to say that today we’ve lost a fellow pony. The Jewel family has lost their youngest daughter to a rare and dreadful disease. May we keep kind thoughts for them in our hearts.” She said, bowing her head. As did all the other ponies in return. 

“Thats awful,” Rose whispered. “I’m going to take some flowers to them.” She got a few white blossoms and trotted towards my parents. I just stood there, frozen with shock. So that is how they covered my never leaving the house? A deadly disease? With Rose gone, I climbed up on top of a crate so I could see my parents. They faked tears, as did my sister, whom was really the younger one. 

“I guess I’m not a Jewel anymore.” I cried to myself, tears running down my cheeks. Not only has my family been so crude all these years, but faking my death was too much to bear.

“How terrible,” Rose sighed as she got back, looking over at me to see me upset. “Whats wrong, Starlight?” 

“It’s just…really sad.” I replied, again true, but not in the way Rose was thinking.

“It’s okay, don’t be sad,” She said trotting away and returning with some bits and a pretty star-shaped flower. “here, thank you for watering my flowers.” 

“You’re Welcome.” I replied, still sniffling. 

“You can come back tomorrow too if you like.” She offered. 

“Okay I will, thank you.” I replied, wiping my tears with my hoof. I put my saddlebag back on and carefully placed the flower inside along with the bits. I slowly clopped away, my head hanging down in sadness, my ears folded down. I turned to go back to the tree house when a blur of bright pink bounced in front of me. I gloomily looked up to see a pair of bright light blue eyes staring down at me in excitement.