Starlight's Story: Confusion and Curiosity

"This is all of the research I've conducted over those shadowy beings, but I'm still unsure as to what they are. Everypony but you and I can't see them, and I've seen them only a few times as I've grown up, but I've been seeing more since you came to school." Nat-mo explained. "When I see them I become petrified and cannot look away, but I know that by staring at them you remain in that frozen state. It feels that if you look away the shadow can come for you." 

 "That sounds terrifying." I agreed. 

 "But it wasn't for you." She reminded. "You weren't afraid and were able to maintain your ability to move and you made the creature go away when you reached for it."

 "Yes, but I don't know why or how." I replied. We both thought in silence, my beating wings lightly dusting the room with their faint sound. 

 "About my book," Nat-mo said, breaking the silence, "you couldn't see any of the text?" 

 "No, and I think I know why." I replied, taking out my book and opening it to the page where I saw the picture of myself. "Go to the twelfth page. In my book I see a picture of myself. What do you see?" 

 "I see a picture of myself as well...but..." She hesitated. 

 "But what?" 

 "My parents gave me this book when I was younger, I thought that they had it personalized." She explained. "But we found yours in the library." 

 "Yeah. I think I know why." I replied.

 "Speaking of parents, what are your parents' names?" She asked. "I've never heard of the family name Dreamer before." I sighed. Here we go again. Might as well just tell her, its better that someone knows incase something disagreeable happens. 

 "If it's not too late in the day, could I show you something?" I asked, Nat-mo turning towards a clock ticking silently above her door. 

 "Late in the day? It's not even noon yet, absolutely." She smiled in reply. 

 "Okay, follow me." I replied, flapping across the room, down the stairs and out the door, Nat-mo following close behind.