Starlight's Story: The Statement

“How do you know I needed a book?” I asked. 

“Well, we are in a library.” Nat-mo replied, smiling at me mockingly.

“Okay, then Miss Mindreader, what book am I looking for?” I countered.

“This one, perhaps?” She said, levitating a book over to me. It was titled: Stellar Sights and Their Origins. 

“Yes,” I breathed, the possibility of finally knowing the answer to the question that has always intrigued me filling me with adrenaline, but I took a deep breath and calmed myself. “but not at this exact moment.” 

“Oh, then what are you looking for?” She asked, setting down the star book. “I’m here all the time, I’m sure I could find it, whatever it is.”

“I came looking for an empty book to write things down in, so I could keep track of everything we do in class.” I replied.

“Oh, okay. Come here, they keep the blank books in this cabinet.” She clopped over to a round counter in the center of the room and opened up a cabinet. Nat-mo stuck her head inside and brought out a pale blue leather bound book and levitated it to me with her magic.

“Thank you.” I replied, feeling the smooth cover with my hoof. 

“You’re welcome.” She said. “May I ask you a question?” She asked, levitating the other book to me.

“You just did.” I replied jokingly. She rolled her eyes at me in response.

“Why are you so fascinated with the stars?” She asked, putting the book on the floor in front of us. 

“Umm…I don’t know. It just came to me one night that I knew nothing about them. I’ve stayed up late at night and woken up early every morning to see the transitions between night and day, and how the stars stay still, not moving by the will of either of the princesses. I just want to know what they are, and why they exist.” I explained.

“Wow, thats actually very interesting, I never noticed how the stars are independent, I’ve always just assumed that they were controlled by Princess Luna. Now I know why it interests you so much. It seems like nopony ever gives them any thought.” She awed. “Well…are you ready to find out?” She asked, looking up at me.

“I guess so.” I replied, opening the book. 

The stars are a wonder to the eye, their mystifying enchantment watching over the night and keeping the dreams clear of darkness. They keep the dreams…

“Why are all of the pages blank?!” Nat-mo cried, starting to rapidly flip through the book.

“What do you mean blank? You can’t see the text?” I asked in surprise.

“No, there’s no text to see!” She replied looking at me in confusion. I stared at her in disbelief. How could she not see all of the pictures and diagrams and all of the information? More importantly how come I could if she couldn’t?

“Umm…I know…I was just…umm…kidding with you?” I replied sheepishly, trying to cover myself, not wanting to seem strange to my new friend. 

“Oh…okay.” She replied. “I’m sorry that you didn’t find your answers.”

“It’s okay, don't worry about it, I knew it was too easy.” I replied, trying my best to hide my shock. An awkward silence filled the room, it seemed that all the books and furniture were holding their breath. 

“So…umm…what examples are you bringing to class tomorrow?” Nat-mo asked, changing the subject. I sighed in relief, glad that everything was still okay between us. 

“I was thinking of bringing an apple and my flower to school tomorrow for examples on earth ponies.” I replied.

“Really? I thought you’d do something based on your own pony type since you could fly and actually touch the clouds without them dissipating.” She said. “Why did you choose earth pony?” I was stunned. Here I am again in another situation where I was being an oddball because I couldn’t fly. I couldn’t meet her eyes. She had been so kind to me so far, and I trusted her most out of anyone I’d met…I had to tell someone. I took a deep breath.

“We’re friends, right?” I asked. Wanting to be sure of the situation before I said anything.

“I would think so…I enjoy your company.” She replied with a smile. I swallowed my fear and took a deep breath.

“I can’t do my assignment on pegasi…I can’t fly.”