Starlight's Story: One Question

“Okay class, now that everyone is here, we can begin our lesson.” Miss Cheerilee said, putting away the clip board. “Today we are going to learn about the different pony types and each of their special abilities.” Miss Cheerilee clopped over to the white board, picked up the chalk and drew a tree, swirls and stars and a cloud and sun. “Each type of pony has special abilities specific to wether they are an earth pony, unicorn or pegasus. The earth ponies have an interwoven gift with plants and minerals, so they are good with food and precious metals, making them most responsible for a town’s food supply and materials for building tools and structures.” She said, adding apples, carrots, a plow and house to the first picture. “The unicorns have the capabilities of using magic more directly. They have found ways to cure illnesses, use magic to make tools and inventions, discover new information and craft weapons to help protect the town from outside threats.” Miss Cheerilee continued, adding a sword, heart and book to the second picture. “The pegasi have magic of the sky, they can walk on clouds, so they control the weather, keeping the days and nights clear and making it rain when needed.” She finished, adding a feather, snowflake and raindrops to the third picture. “The most important thing is that all the ponies work together so that they can all work at their very best. Does anyone have any questions?” She asked. 

“Yes, Starlight?” She said. I gasped, I didn’t even recall raising my hoof. 

“Umm…the pegasi have magic of the sky?” I blurted out, causing the class to snicker.

“Yes, thats right.” 

“Do they control the stars?” I asked in fear and in hope. Maybe Miss Cheerillee knew about the stars, she was a teacher after all, but if she didn’t…my question might not have an answer. 

“How stupid, everyone knows Princess Luna controls the stars.” Diamond Tiara snapped. I shrank back into my desk, having forgotten the environment I was in. 

“Oh, okay. Just checking.” I whispered in attempt to justify myself and in disappointment.

“Actually, that is a very good question.” Miss Cheerilee replied, shooting a look of disapproval to Diamond Tiara. “I know Princess Luna is responsible for protecting Equestria at night and raising the moon, but I don’t know of her relation to the stars. Why don’t you check the town’s library after class, maybe you’ll find an answer there.”

“Oh, okay. Thank you.” I replied, grateful for the suggestion.

“Any other questions? Anypony? No? Okay. Your homework for tonight is to go find examples of at least two benefits to our town that are provided by one of the three types of ponies.” The class gave a collective moan, then the bell on top of the school rang and everypony gathered their things and started to leave. I got down from my seat and put my flower in my saddle bag and moved towards the door. 

“How was your first day?” Miss Cheerilee asked.

“Good.” I replied.

“Glad to hear it, see you tomorrow!” She smiled. I nodded and moved towards the door. 

When I got outside the sun was high in the sky, shining brightly. It was only mid-day? That class seemed to last forever. I sighed and sat down under the tree in front of the school. I thought over the assignment. I was going to need a place to write everything we did in class down if I was ever going to keep up, but I knew I didn’t have the money for it. My stomach grumbled. I sighed and stood up, making my way towards the town in search of food. I ended up stopping at an apple stand being watched over by an orange mare with a yellow mane and farmer’s hat. I gave her some bits and she handed me six apples. I thanked her and put them in my saddlebag. When I turned to head back to the tree house I saw a stand for books. I slowly made my way towards it, curious of the price. The grey stallion in charge of the stand told me that he didn’t sell blank books, but that I would be able to get one at the library for no cost. He said that they had many unfilled books laying around and that he was sure the mare in charge there would be able to spare me one. I thanked him graciously and hurriedly galloped to the library grateful for my luck on finding such a deal. Thankfully I had noticed the library that morning when Pinky Pie was taking me to Sugar Cube Corner. 

I clopped up to the tree and carefully opened the door, looking around inside. The door shut quietly behind me and I made my way towards a counter. It was dead silent except for the sound of a clock clicking on the wall. Not seeing anypony, I concluded that nopony was there and that I would have to come back later. I turned sadly for the door when I heard an excited, “Hi!”

(A.N: Just for clarification, the library mentioned is where Twilight lives/lived I’m somewhat confused on its concept as of the end of Season Four, but in this fanfiction story Twilight’s Castle and Library exist independantly of each other.

If anyone could clarify what the relation is between Twilight, the Castle and the Library it would be greatly appreciated. _._)