Starlight's Story: Phillies all Around

By the time we got to the school, I was breathing heavy. When Pinky Pie finally stopped I sat down on the grass, panting.

“So here’s the school!” Pinky Pie exclaimed, “Have fun! Don’t hesitate to stop by if you’re feeling sad. See you later!” I watched as she galloped away down the path. Standing up, I looked about, taking in my surroundings. There were several other phillies my age clopping about, playing and talking to one another. It eased my mind to see other pegasi mixed in with the other earth ponies and unicorns. I hesitantly stepped forward, moving to join the group. Before I could even think to talk to any pony, a bell on top of the school rang, and all of the other ponies trotted into the building. I nervously followed. 

When I looked around the inside was painted in calming green and yellow hues and there were several small wooden desks arranged in a square formation, all facing a large wooden desk in front of a white board at the front of the room. There was all kinds of artwork posted on the walls and crafts sitting on the shelves around the room. 

“Why, hello there.” A gentle voice said. I looked up to see a purple mare with a light pink, striped mane looking down at me. “You must be a new student. My name is Miss Cheerilee, and I am going to be your teacher. What’s your name?”

“My name is Starlight.” I replied. 

“And your family name?” Cheerilee asked.

“Oh, it’s-” I stopped myself. I couldn’t use my real family name, I was supposed to be dead. If I used my last name…who knows what would happen. I shifted nervously, desperately trying to think of a name. Then it came to me.

“Dreamer!” I shouted suddenly, attracting the attention of all the other students. “My name is Starlight Dreamer.” I whispered, blushing under their gaze.

“Okay then.” Cheerilee smiled. “Welcome.” I looked around, all the others still staring at me. “You can go ahead and take a seat behind Truffle. Truffle, could you raise your hoof so Starlight can see you.” A grey hoof went up towards the back. I bobbed my head and moved towards my new desk, my hoofsteps echoing on the wood floor in the quiet room. I clopped by the young colt that I now sat behind. His mane and tail were dark grey, short and curly, and his cutie mark showed a spoon and fork. I smiled at him in a silent greeting, but he didn’t return it. I quickly looked away and returned my attention to my desk. To my relief the desk was built for some pony my size, so it was easy to get into it. I took off my saddlebag and sat in the desk. Everypony continued to stare at me. My ears went down as I shrank back in my seat, trying to hide from my peers, my heart ponding so hard in my chest I was sure everypony in the room could hear it. 

“All right class, lets take attendance and then we’ll get on with the day’s lesson.” Miss Cheerilee said, saving me. I looked back over my desk to see everypony looking to the front of the room as Miss Cheerilee stood behind her desk with a clip board. 

“Apple Bloom?” She called out.

“Here!” A yellow earth pony with a red mane and pink bow replied, raising her hoof.  

“Dimond Tiara?” 

“Present.” A light purple pony wearing a tiara said, shooting daggers at Apple Bloom, who just rolled her eyes. I sensed tension at the mention of Dimond Tiara’s name, and I made a mental note to avoid her if possible. 

“Feather Weight?” Miss Cheerilee continued.

“Here!” A small white pegasus replied. I listened intently as she read through the list, doing my best to remember every name I heard and link it to a pony.

“Nat-mo?” She asked, looking up when she didn’t receive an answer. “Has anyone seen Nat-mo today?” Then the school’s door glowed turquoise and opened, and a purple unicorn with a short carrot blonde mane and tail walked in, her saddle bag filled with books and her horn glowing with the same magic being used to open the door. She wore a gray sweater, her teal eyes looking out through magenta framed glasses. 

“Sorry Miss Cheerilee, I started reading a book about teleportation magic and I completely lost track of time!” The philly said, lowering her head.

“What a nerd.” Diamond Tiara whispered, causing a few of the classmates to snicker. The philly’s ear flicked, she had heard the remark, but she acted as if she hadn't. 

“It’s okay Nat-mo, just try to be on time tomorrow.” Miss Cheerilee assured, marking her off the list. The young unicorn turned and started walking down the row of desks I was seated in and sat in the desk to my right and took out a book and opened it to a page marked with a teal ribbon. Miss Cheerilee marked off Nat-mo and continued through the roll call. 

“Peachy Pie?”

What a unique name…

“Here!” 

“Rumble?” I’d never heard anything like it…

“Here!”

“Scootaloo?” …it must stand for something.

“Here!”

“Silver Spoon?” There was tension again.

“Present.” Yup, I’m going to stay clear of that philly too.

“Snails?” And her magic skill…

“Here!” 

“Snips?” …it was truly impressive.

“Here!”

“Starlight?” I was startled out of my train of thought. Everypony was staring at me.  I looked to Miss Cheerilee and raised my hoof, blushing. She smiled in understanding and marked my name off the list. I didn’t need to say anything, they all learned who I was during the incident earlier. 

“Sounds like she’s used up all her voice.” Silver Spoon snickered to Diamond Tierra. I shrank away from the comment, more giggles erupting from the class.

“Sunny Daze?” I hid behind my desk, looking at the floor. Who would’ve thought just talking to other ponies would be so difficult? 

“Here!”

“Sweetie Belle?” It didn’t help that I was now all alone. I would be living alone, I was alone in the town and now I was alone in this school.  

“Here!”

        “Truffle?” My vision started to fog up with tears. 

“Here!”

“Twist?” Then my saddlebag started to glow with a blue light, and the flower Rose had given me floated out of the bag, surrounded with a turquoise aura. 

“Here!” I looked up to see the purple unicorn’s horn glowing as she smiled at me. I smiled in return, wiping my eyes. I took the flower and put it on my desk. I guess I wasn’t alone after all.