Starlight's Story: Lightning Bugs

I picked up my pace and galloped home, I didn’t want to be caught in the dark all by myself. By the time the moon had risen I had reached my treehouse, and clopped up the stairs. I slid off my saddlebag and lit a candle. I took out an apple, the star book and the flower, placing it on the windowsill. The stars sparkled as I ate the apple, a lone cloud drifting lazily through the sky. When I finished my apple I clopped over and rolled myself up in my pale blue blanket. I moved to blow out the candle when my eyes moved over the book. It again seemed to be glowing, slowly pulsing with white energy. I got out from under my blanket and moved over to it, tentatively opening it. 

I was again greeted by eye catching diagrams and maps as I slowly turned through the book. It was like looking into an unknown world, talking about star energy abilities and a so called ‘Dream World’. I continued looking through the text when I turned to a page with an image of a pale grey pegasus…with pale blue eyes…with a long mane and tail…that faded from yellow to white…and a piece that faded from blue to white in the tail and mane…I quickly closed the book. The pony depicted in the picture looked just like me, but it didn’t make any sense, why was I in the book, why couldn’t Nat-mo see it? Scared and confused, I backed away from the book and returned to my blanket and blew out the candle and peered out at the night sky one last time before I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

I opened my eyes to find myself in a prairie, a beautiful array of stars assisting the moon as it overlooked the plains. Like magic lightning bugs floated out from the grass, playfully floating about me. I galloped through the fields with them, admiring the beautiful wild flowers I trotted passed. The fireflies eventually slowed and stopped. When I caught up to them I was greeted by a stunning view of the sea. I sat down and watched the waves come from the horizon, moving towards me until they crashed into the cliffside below. 

I watched as a bright light flew through the sky, seeming to get bigger and bigger. The light dimmed as it approached me. I took a few strides back not knowing wether or not I was safe. The ball of light turned out to be a pegasus with long, flowing wings glowing with star energy that the book had talked about, her mane long, energy tendrils floating around them. The mare flew closer and closer and it was then that I realized that it was the energy that made her mane, tail and wings look so long, the being was actually about my size. She floated over to me gracefully beating her wings without a sound. There was something familiar about her…the pale grey coat…the mane and tail…I stared into my own eyes, transfixed. 

My double suddenly looked somewhere behind me. I turned to where she looked to see black fog emitting from an overwhelming forest that stood where the beautiful plains had just been. I backed away from the looming fog, turning my head, desperately trying to find my double to find that she’d vanished. I took faster backward strides, trying to increase the distance between me and the fog, but when I reached my hoof out to step back, it was met with air. I lost my balance as I fell, two smoking green eyes watched me as I screamed, desperately trying to fly as I barreled towards the harsh sea.