A New Star-t (Introduction -Part One-)

The stars are so beautiful. They are full of mystery, their origins, their light. Where do they come from? How do they produce their light? Everyone always says that Princess Luna raises the moon and stars, but that’s not true. The stars start to appear after the sun sets, before the moon appears, and they are there briefly before the sun rise, and they never, ever, move. Then they tell me off, saying how I shouldn’t worry about it or that I shouldn’t go asking about things if there’s nothing wrong with them.

But if we just let our suspicions go, if we ignore things that don’t add up, where would we be? Curiosity is what drives us to pursue knowledge, without it, we would be no where near where we are as a society today.

But it doesn’t matter what I think, I’m the only pegasus in my family. I am stuck in a world where strength is favored, a trait very few pegasi have. I’m often ridiculed for not being able to lift heavy objects or gallop for a long period of time. I was born in Phillydelphia, and my family moved out to Ponyville for “business opportunities.” I never went to flight school, so I can’t fly either. I’ve asked my parents if I could go, but my father shuts me down, saying that if I ever want to get anywhere in life, I need to learn how to be strong, and that I can’t do that if I’m always flying around. I dream of flight. I daydream of how easy it would be if I could fly places and how I wouldn’t have to worry about becoming tired. I’ve considered on many occasions of just running away, but I knew I wouldn’t have a chance on my own, so I hatched a plan. Every day when my parents would go out, I’d sneak out into the forest to work on building a small tree house in the forest by the train tracks, where no one could see. I would work on it until I turned ten, when I would be old enough to go to regular school, and sneak out of the house at night, leaving a note saying I left to find my own way in life.

That was four years ago when I came up with my plan, and tonight is the night I’ve been waiting for. I looked back at all my pain and struggles one last time. Then turned and galloped to my new home, my few personal belongings in my saddle bag, leaving all my problems behind for a new life.