Starlight's Story: Perplexing Project

When we got to the school the other phillies and colts were playing in the schoolyard. Nat-mo and I walked over to one of the large trees and sat beneath it. It was then that I remembered that I hadn’t eaten breakfast, so I pulled an apple out of my saddlebag and bit into it. 

“That’s odd.” Nat-mo said. I looked in the direction she was looking, but I didn’t see anything wrong. 

“Hmm?” I asked, still chewing the apple.

“Miss Cheerilee is usually here pretty early, but I don’t see her anywhere.” I looked again, this time in search of the friendly purple pony. Then I saw her quickly galloping down the path towards the school. 

“Mmm!” I exclaimed, quickly swallowing my apple. “There she is!” Miss. Cheerilee quickly clopped up to the school, unlocked it and rushed inside just as the bell rang.

“Geez, I’ve never seen her move that quickly before, I wonder if anything is wrong.” Nat-mo wondered as she stood up. I took the last bite of my apple and stood up as well, swallowing as we started towards the school house. 

“Maybe she’s just rushing because she’s late?” I asked.

“Maybe…” Nat-mo replied.

After Miss. Cheerilee had taken role and every pony was accounted for she started our class. “Okay everypony, I’m not feeling my best today, so instead of presenting all of your items you are going to take them up to the front of the class and simply say why you picked what you did and place them on the appropriate blanket.” She explained. “Any volunteers?” A white, yellow and orange hoof shot up all at once. 

“We’ll go first Miss. Cheerilee!” They cried in excitement. 

“Okay, girls.” Miss Cheerilee. agreed. The hooves’ owners were the phillies I recognized as Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootiloo. 

“I brought an apple fritter and a jar of apple juice for earth ponies, because they farm the land to provide food sources.” Applebloom said, placing them on a green blanket.

“I got a cloud in a jar and a paper lightning bolt for pegasai because they control the weather.” Scootiloo added, putting her items on a blue blanket.

“And I have a hat and a blanket because unicorns use their magic to create luxury items.” Sweetie Belle finished, putting the two items on the purple blanket. How each one knew what blanket was which I had no clue. Maybe they had covered it in class before I’d started to attend.I opened my note-taking book and used the quill on my desk to write it down. After the first three went, everypony started to go all at once. I clopped up to the front with Nat-mo and waited in the line. 

When it was my turn my heart pounded in my chest as I stepped forward. Most of the class had gone by now, so most of them were already back in their seats. I was frozen by their gazes, my voice refusing to sound. I took a sideway glance at Nat-mo, who smiled and gave me a nod of re-assurance. I took a deep breath and stepped forward. 

“I decided to bring a flower and an apple for earth ponies because of their ability to grow plants on the lands.” I said, putting my items on the green blanket along with the other various plant and food items. 

“Hey, Silver Spoon,” Diamond Tiara said, “Isn’t it strange that Starlight was the only pony in the class not to do her project on her own species?” Our eyes met when I looked up and I shrank under her suffocating glare.

“Yeah, I wonder why not.” Silver Spoon replied. 

“I think its cool that she did her project on a species other than her own.” Nat-mo suddenly replied. “She was up for the challenge.” 

“Okay, so then did you do your project on another species?” Diamond Tierra snapped back.

“No, I didn’t.” Nat-mo said, moving to take my place. I graciously nodded and clopped back to my seat. “I set my eye on bringing a book, which counts for two things. It symbolizes the artisanship of the unicorns and the research they conduct to bring comfort to their fellow ponies.” Nat-mo said as she used her magic to open the book to a random page…but it was blank. I cocked my head in confusion.

“Looks like the reading dweeb brought the wrong book.” Diamond Tiara smirked. Nat-mo turned the book so she could see the inside looked at it quizzically.

“I think what Diamond Tiara is trying to say is that your book is blank.” Miss. Cheerilee tried. 

“No, it isn’t look at all of the text.” She said, turning it so that the class could see it, but she was met only with confused stares. Thats when it hit me: a seemingly blank book? Nat-mo turned to look at me, shocked. I just shook my head no, not able to form any words.