Starlight's Story: Analysis and Speculation

"Pretty dream you got here." I smiled.

"Thanks." Nat-mo replied. "So how did you know I was in trouble?"

"Well, after I realized I was in Dreamworld, I saw the shadows terrorizing everypony and I became worried and started to look for you. When the other ponies were being chased, they ran for a while and then just disappeared. But I remembered how you froze when you saw them in class and panicked." I explained.

"I think when ponies disappear from here, they are waking up in the real world." Nat-mo replied, deep in thought.

"But I don't understand," I continued, "how are the shadows invading if I'm still here?"

"I have been wondering the same thing, but with the Corruption Queen." Nat-mo added. "It doesn't make sense that none of this was happening up until now. I read some more of my book last night concerning the difference between a Guardian and a Plain Vessel, like us. It seems that the Guardian can directly ward off foes, both of spirit and physical form at any time, while we can only affect the spiritual threats of our own plains."

"So I wouldn't be able to defend the Thought Plain, like how you can't defend Dreamworld." I calculated.

"Yes, we act like more of a back-up plan in the event of one of the Guardians falling." She added.

"Wait, what if the Guardians have fallen?" I asked, worry in my voice.

"That's crazy, everyone would know if Celesta or Luna fell." Nat-mo replied.

"I wouldn't have noticed you were being stared down by that shadow in class today if I hadn't noticed your sweater still there." I said.

"True, but the sun and moon, they're still rising and setting." Nat-mo suggested.

"When I was corrupted by the Queen, I lost the ability to control my body, it would be easy for her to corrupt the sisters and force them to move the sun and moon against their will." I shivered.

"But Celestia and I are both immune to her influence," she started, "but...we are weak to the King's influence." Nat-mo said.

"Could the King force you to do something?" I wondered.

"I don't know. I've researched magical creatures before, but they all had a physical form, and the Queen, and most likely the King, don't." Nat-mo replied.

"Well, we better find out." I said.

"I've read nearly every book in the town's library." She sighed. "None of them mention anything remotely close to what we're dealing with."

"Maybe the books are hidden?" I asked. "It seems like the magic they are using is dark magic?"

"Perhaps...maybe the knowledge is already in our possession..." Nat-mo thought allowed.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, from my research over the years, I've discovered that shadow beings aren't physical, they are spiritual and have shifting forms, kind of like ghosts, but they are aware and think like a normal life-form." She explained.

"Kind of like all of the other ponies here." I added. "They are real, but somewhat translucent."

"Our foes aren't an enemy you could fight in the normal world, which is why they are only attacking us here...they couldn't before, but now they can...but why?" She wondered.

"Like I said earlier, what is Celestia and Luna have fallen? Without their presence Dreamworld and the Thought Plain would be vulnerable to attack, letting the King and Queen in, and giving them the opportunity to take over." I explained.

"But wouldn't everyone notice if the Princesses were defeated?" She asked. I thought about her point for a long while.

"N-no...no they wouldn't..." I replied, my voice wavering.

"What...?" Nat-mo asked.

"They are scared..." I replied, "everypony is scared out of their coats. This morning Miss Rose was so jumpy that she knocked over flower pots and completely forgot about her invitation to help her yesterday."

"But Rose Luck is usually so graceful..." Nat-mo said, "come to think of it...Miss Cheerilee was like that too! The way she was late and left soon as class was over, that was very unlike her."

"They are too distracted by their visions at night to worry about anything else," I continued, "not knowing that everypony is going through the nightmares."

"And those that aren't phased by the nightmares are probably corrupted by the Queen," Nat-mo theorized, "and with everypony under either of their control they gain full control of Equestria."

"But wouldn't the Elements of Harmony, or any of the other Princesses be able to sense something being wrong?" I asked.

"It's very doubtful, this is a phycological battle." Nat-mo explained. "Us, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna are the only ones that can even see the shadows, remember? Even if Cadence or Twilight noticed something wrong, they wouldn't be able to access the threat."

"Oh...I suppose you're right." I whispered.

"And what's worse is that I think you're right." She continued.

"Wow, thanks." I commented.

"Not that!" Nat-mo said, sticking her tongue out at me. "Your theory about how Luna and Celestia have been defeated, or at least been forced under the King or Queen's control. I hate to think of it, but with the shadows attacking Dreamworld, Luna may have left Celestia's side to go and try to defend it, leaving her vulnerable for the King to come and take control. Then when Luna returned, she would be defenseless against the Queen. Then the Queen could force Luna to raise and lower the sun, preventing suspicion from others that have yet to be under their control." A silence came, it seemed as if the world had stopped, the glowing flowers seeming to create more shadows than light.

"So...seeing as how all the ponies have been attacked by the Shadows," I whispered, "and that Princess Celestia and Luna have probably fallen...does that mean we're the only ones still free from their influence?"

"Yeah...and whats worse," Nat-mo squeaked, "they are probably coming for us next."