4.

// Jade //
We put down walkers, the chill of the air growing stronger. No one came to the door. Rick was begging, and pleading, "Rick! C'mon." I yelled, then run out to slice a walker. Glenn yelled at me to come back, which I did after sliced another. The gates opened and a bright light shined out at us. Everyone stepped inside to view a man who was standing with a gun, "Anybody infected?" he yelled, cocking the gun, "A man in our group was. He didn't make it." Rick said, taking in a shaky breath, "Why are you here? What do you want?" the man asked, walking down some steps. Glenn placed his arm around me, not caring who sees.
"A chance." Rick said, his breath unsteady, "That's askin' an awful lot these days." the man said. I pointed my gun at him, my machete back in its place. Daryl glanced over quickly, but looked back again. His look put fear in Glenn and I, but Glenn didn't let go, "I know," it was quiet for a moment as the man got a good look at all of us, "You'll all submit to a blood test. That's the price of admission." his voice was deep and threatening, "We can do that." Rick said, nodding to the man, "If you've got stuff to bring in, do it now. Once that door closes, it stays closed." he pointed outside. I ran out, followed by Glenn, "Daryl seen. He's gonna kill me!" Glenn said, panting a bit from the run. I rolled my eyes and grabbed as much stuff as I could before running back inside.
"Rick Grimes," Rick introduced himself, "Dr. Edwin Jenner," he said warily, looking at all of us again. Jenner lead us to an elevator, which was very cramped. I was stuck between Glenn and Daryl; both starring each other down. Daryl's glare shifted to Jenner, "Doctors always go around packin' heat like that?" he ask, "There were plenty left lying around, so I just familiarized myself." Jenner said, a small smirk on his lips, "But you look harmless enough," he glanced down at Carl, "Except you," I stifled a laugh, "Might have to keep my eye on you." A smile played at Carl's lips.

After we unloaded from the elevator, Jenner lead us through a hallway, "Are we underground?" Carol piped up, "You claustrophobic?" Jenner asked, "A little," Carol answered, "Try not to think about it." Jenner said, turning back around. My machete bounced in it's place, my gun around my shoulder. Glenn and Daryl were still glaring at each other occasionally, "Vi, bring up the lights in the big room." Jenner said to no one. I looked at Daryl, who looked just as confused as I was. Automatically, the lights came on. Jenner half-way turned around, "Welcome to Zone 5." he said, then walked farther into the center of the building. "Where is everybody?" Rick ask, following shortly behind him, "The other doctors, the staff?" Jenner stood in the center of the structure, "I'm it. It's just me here," I looked at him, feeling the anger shoot through me, "What about the person you were speaking with?" Lori ask, "Vi?" it was silent in the room, "Vi," Jenner began, "Say hello to our guests. Tell them welcome." A women voice spoke, "Hello, guests. Welcome." it sounded almost electronic. It took a while, but I finally got it. She was the operating system! Everyone looked around, a shocked look plastered on their face, "I'm all that's left." Jenner said. I almost felt sorry for him, "I'm sorry, " he said when he seen the look of disappointment on everyone's face.
-----
He stuck the needle into my arm, drawing the blood, "What's the point." I mumbled, "What was that?" he ask, "If we were infected, we would have a fever by now." I said, scoffing, "Just being thorough." he said, pulling the needle out of my arm. I stood up, not feeling the slightest bit light-headed, "You took that well." he said, looking at me, "Yeah, well I've lost enough blood to not even feel a thing." I said, walking over to Daryl.
-----
Dale poured me a glass of wine, then handed it to me, "Oh god, I've not had this good shit in forever." I sighed, downing the glass. Everyone look at me as I grabbed the remaining bottle from Dale's hand. Lori laughed first as I offered her a drink, then everyone joined in, "Carl you want some?" I ask, laughing a bit, "C'mon! It's traditional in France or Italy for a child to have a glass of wine at dinner, "Well, when Carl is in France or Italy, he can have some." Lori let out a breathy laugh, "What's it gonna hurt, c'mon." Rick said as Lori took a sip. Lori laughed, almost spiting out her wine. She shrugged and removed her hand off Carl's glass, "Here you are, young lad." Dale said, handing Carl a cup. It was silent as he took a small sip, "Ew!" he jerked back in repulsion. Everyone started to laugh as Lori poured the rest of his wine into her cup. I took a swift drink from my bottle as I watched, "Stick to soda pop there, bud." Shane said, smiling, "Now you, Glenn." Daryl challenged, "What?" Glenn looked up from the bottle after closely examining it, "Keep drinking, little man. I wanna see how red your face can get." Daryl said, actually smiling. I smirked at Glenn. I was already half-drunk and apparently Daryl was too, "Yeah, Glenn! Go ahead." I said, leaning up against the counter he sat on. Everyone laughed, but then stopped when Rick tapped on his glass and stood up, "It seems to me we haven't thanked our host properly." Rick said, "He is more than just our host," T-Dog said, lifting his glass, "Booyah!" Daryl shouted. Yep, clearly more than half drunk, "Booyah!" Everyone repeated, "So when you gonna tell us what the hell happened her, Doc." Shane said, making the room go dull and quite. Glenn draped his arm around my shoulders as the subject was brought up, "All the, uh, the other doctors. I thought you was supposed to be figuring out what happened." Shane said. Not a soul spoke, "Where are they?" Shane continued, "Well, when things got bad a lot of people just left, went off to be with their families, " Jenner said, his voice dull, "and when things got worse, when the military got overrun, the rest bolted." the mood had drastically changed from happy to sad in a matter of minutes, "Many couldn't face walking out the door. They... Opted out. There was a rash of suicides." I took a long sip from the bottle as Jenner continued, "That was a bad time." Andrea then spoke up, "You didn't leave. Why?" Jenner looked at her, "I just kept working. Hoping to do some good." It was quiet for a moment, "Shane, you're such a buzz kill." I sighed, finishing off my bottle.
--------
"Most of the facilities went down, including housing. So you'll have to make due here." Jenner said, "Couches are comfortable, but there are cots in storage if you like." I walked beside a drunken Glenn and a drunken Daryl, "There's a rec room down the hall that you kids might enjoy, just don't plug in the video games. Drains power." He looked at the kids, "Same applies for you; if you shower, go easy on the hot water." Then he disappeared around the corner, "Hot water?" I said in a questioning voice. The whole group smiled, "That's what the man said." T-Dog smiled.

--------
Do you guys like the story so far? I'm having fun with it & I hope you guys like it as much as I like it already. leave some votes & comments. Give me your opinions, what do you want to see happen? thanks for reading!