29.

// Daryl //

Merle and I had just saved two Spanish men, a woman, and a child from walkers on a little bridge and we were now walked through the woods. Merle was steaming angry that they didn't give us anything for saving them. After a while of bickering, I had gotten sick of it, "You helping people out of the goodness of your heart? Even though you might die doing it? Is that something your Sheriff Rick taught you?" Merle taunted, "There was a baby!" I shouted, stopping and turning to face him, "Oh, otherwise you would have just left them to the bitters, then?" When he said that, I realized what all this was tracing back to, "Man, I went back for you. You weren't there. I didn't cut off your hand, neither. You did that. Way before they locked you up on that roof. You asked for it." I pointed an arrow I held in my hand in his face. He smiled and laughed breathy, "You know-- you know what's funny to me? You and Sheriff Rick are like this now." He said, walking around me as he held two fingers twisted together, "Right? I bet you a penny and a fiddle of gold that you never told him that we were planning on robbing that camp blind." he laughed in my face.

I held my anger best I could, "It didn't happen." Merle smiled, "Yeah, it didn't 'cause I wasn't there to help you." I growled and got in his face, "What, like when we were kids, huh? Who left then?!" I spat, "What?! Huh? Is that why I lost my hand?" Merle shouted, "You lost your hand 'cause you're a simpleminded piece of shit." Merle lunged forward, "Yeah?! You don't know-" in the struggle, he ripped the back of my shirt into shreds. He stopped fighting me. I pushed his hand away from my shoulder as I tried to piece together my shirt. I gathered my backpack together quickly, "I--I didn't know he was--" I cut him off, putting my backpack on over my backless shirt, "Yeah, he did." My voice cracked, "He did the same to you and Jade. That's why you left first." I grabbed my crossbow and stood up, "I had to, man. I would've killed him otherwise." but as he spoke, I walked away, "Where you goin'?" Merle called after me, "Back where I belong." I said, holding back tears, "I can't go with you." Merle said, "I.. I tried to kill that black bitch. Damn near killed the Chinese kid." Merle pleaded,
"He's Korean." I corrected, "Whatever. Doesn't matter, man. I just can't go with you." you could pretty much hear the sadness in his voice just as bad as mine.
I looked down, letting a tear slip off the bridge of my nose, "You know, I may be the one walking away..." my voice crack was terrible as I looked back up at my brother, "but you're the one that's leaving-- again."

// Jade //

I was still inside my cell, changing clothes and getting ready to go outside. Just as I put my shirt over my head, I heard a gunshot go off outside. I grabbed my rifle off the side table and hooked my machete on my hip quickly. I burst outside, bullets flying everywhere. I ran over to Beth and Carl who were hunkering behind the bleachers. Carl was shooting his pistol toward the guard tower. Then it dawned on me who this was. The Governor. I grabbed my rifle and made sure it was loaded, aiming it toward the person shooting at us. After missing all my shots, I stopped firing. I motioned Carl and Beth toward the only solid object I saw, which was a wall a few yards in front of the guard town. I spotted Axel's dead body lying on the ground, Carol taking cover behind it. I started to reach out toward her, but a bullet flew past me. I jerked back, hugging Carl closer to my chest. A few moments passed and gunfire stopped, "BETH." Maggie ran out of the prison, handing Beth a gun. I ran over and grabbed one, putting my rifle on my back.
Shots continued as I aimed down the field, aiming toward the only person I saw; The Governor. I missed my shots. I told Carl to stay put, not knowing where Beth had gone. I dodged fire as I took cover behind a filing cabinet, laying covering fire for Carol to get to safety, "Carol, go!" I shouted, shooting at the man on the guard tower. She ran toward Carl and Beth, who had just returned. She took Beth's gun and got ready to fire.
I took my mind off of them and placed a hand on my stomach. It kicked. I was only about 4 months along. I smiled and shook the thoughts away, focusing on the tasks at hand. I kept shooting at the guard tower, determined to take him out. I peered in-between the filing cabinet when I heard someone running toward me. I turned my aim to see Maggie. I lowered my weapon and moved over. We all stopped firing, hearing an engine roaring toward us. I peered through the crack of the filing cabinet to see the man who was once firing at us looking toward the road, hunching down. I turned back to face Maggie, "What is that?" I whispered. She shrugged her shoulders, panting hard. A van drove through the gate, driving into the courtyard. The van sat still, idling in it's place. A ramp on the back fell down, walkers pouring out the back. Gunfire resumed as I tried to take out the walkers in the field. I turned my attention to the man on the guard tower, taking a deep breath. I steadied my aim and shot, killing him. I popped my neck and turned back to the walkers. The Governors people began to drive away, leaving us with the walkers. Once they were gone, Carl, Beth, Carol, Maggie, and I ran down the the only gate still standing, unlocking it quickly. We ran out into the field, taking our shots. I was getting tired, shooting with one arm while the other held my stomach. I shook it off and put the gun on my back with my rifle. I took my machete off my hip and walked into the field. I seen a truck driving in the field, knowing it could only be Glenn. I sliced a zombie in half, running toward Michonne. We fought side by side until we reach Hershel. Michonne and Glenn helped him into the truck as I kept the walkers off of us. I climbed in the bed of the truck after Michonne and Hershel were safely tucked inside the truck. I grabbed my rifle and started to shoot from the back. The truck pulled into the gates as someone shut it behind us. I sat down in the bed, putting both hands on my stomach as my baby kicked again. I smiled to myself and stood up, swinging one leg over the truck and felt hands on my waist. I turned to see Glenn and gave him a smile before letting him help me off the truck. We all gathered and looked out into the field. Glenn came up behind me and put his hands on my stomach as I placed my hands over his.
-----------------------------------