19.

// Jade //
Rick and Carl walked into camp. I stood up beside Glenn as Lori walked over to her husband and son, "We're keeping him in custody for now." Rick announced. My stomach twisted,
"I'm gonna find Dale." Andrea said, a wide smile on her face. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair, then walked away and toward the house.
As I stood on the porch, I saw Glenn walking toward me. I smiled at him and began to speak, only to be cut off by a scream, "What was that?!" Glenn turned around, "I don't know!" I screamed, un-sheathing my machete. I ran toward the sound and followed the rest of the group. Then I saw it.
Dale.

I ran and tackled the walker to the ground and stabbed it in the head over and over again. I let out a small grunt and scrambled away from the walker. I leaned over-top of Dale and let a few tears fall, "HELP! OVER HERE!" I waved my arms in distress, "HELP! RUN!" I screamed again. I leaned down to Dale, "Hang in there, Dale." I comforted him, "WHO IS IT?" Andrea shouted. The group came upon Dale and I.

I desperately tried to cover the wound and stop the bleeding. It didn't look like a bite, but his stomach was torn open, "Oh my god." Rick muttered, dropping to his knees beside Dale. I pushed myself back, covered in blood. I sat beside Dale and petted his head, "All right, just listen to my voice. Listen to me, all right? Just listen to me." Rick was pleading with Dale, "Okay, hold on now. Get Hershel!" Rick was yelling. Everyone around me turned to a blur as I focused on Dale's moans of pain, "Dale. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." I whispered, leaning down beside Dale's head. My hands were shaking really bad as I felt myself being pulled away. I was then shot out of my thoughts by a gunshot and I knew he was gone.

--------

"It'll be tight, 14 people in one house." Rick said, "Don't worry about that." Hershel said, "With the swamp hardening, the creek drying up..." Maggie interrupted, "With 50 head of cattle on the property, we might as well be ringing the damn dinner bell." Maggie said, looking at Rick, "She's right. We should've moved you in a while ago." Hershel looked down at his feet, "All right, let's move the vehicles near each of the doors facing out toward the road." Rick motioned, "We'll build a lookout in the windmill, another in the barn loft. That should give us sight lines. Both sides of the property. T-Dog, you take the perimeter around the house. Keep track of everyone coming and going." Rick gave us orders, "What about standing guard?" T ask, "I need you and Daryl on double duty." Rick looked over to Daryl, "Gotcha." T said and walked past Rick, "I'll stock the basement with food and water, enough that we can all survive there a few days if need be." Hershel packed a few boxes into the house, "What about patrols?" Andrea ask, "Let's get this area locked down first. After than, Shane'll assign shifts." Rick looked at Shane. I sighed, not wanting to hear the rest of the conversation. I grabbed a few boxes and followed everyone into the house.
"Jade!" I heard Rick call from behind me. I turned quickly and slowed down, "When I'm out with Daryl, help Hershel keep an eye on things around here." I walked beside Rick, "Me?" I ask, "Shane's got a way of letting things get out of hand, especially when he's all torqued up." Rick said, glancing at the ground, "I think we're all a bit torqued up at this point." I sighed, "If you're staying here permanently, he's got to understand that it's what Rick and I say, not whatever he wants." I snicker, "Yeah, right." I mutter, "He's his own worst enemy." Rick says. I'm quiet for a moment, "You want me to babysit Shane?" I ask, putting my weight on one foot. Rick stepped toward me, "I need to make sure every time I leave the farm all hell doesn't break loose." Rick sighed, "Then maybe you should stop leaving." I nod at him, walking away, "Will you keep an eye on things?" Rick calls after me, "Of course." I mutter, barely enough for him to hear.
I walked out of 'my' room and down the stairs, seeing Glenn laying his stuff on the dinner table, "You can put your stuff upstairs in my room." I said, leaning on the door frame, "With Daryl in the house?" he ask, "I just-- I'm just gonna put my stuff over there." he motioned nervously, "I'm serious. He don't care." I said, smiling at him.
He sighed and followed me up the stairs and into a small office-like room. I had two cots set up beside each other and the furniture pushed back against the wall. He put his stuff down and looked at me. I smiled as his gaze lingered,
"What?" I ask with a laugh. He let out a breathy laugh and kissed me gently.

-----------

Glenn and I lay on the cots, his arm draped lightly over my waist. His breathing slowed, giving me the hint that he had fallen asleep. I smiled to myself and reached back to grab his hand. His callused fingers were rough and tender, but I loved them just the same. I played with his fingers in my hand as I took this time to re-collect my thoughts. Glenn was mine, and I was his. Anyone could tell that. But this world? It's gonna tear us apart, drive us to do un-believable things that I wasn't quiet ready for yet. I mean, yeah. I can shut myself up and be the bad-ass Dixon sister, but I don't want to. I want to help people, be the good guy for once. I sighed and abandoned my thoughts, turning over to face Glenn. His eyes were shut, a small smile on his lips. Not enough for anyone to notice, but I did. I studied his face carefully, noticing every little ridge. His round nose, his smooth black hair that was matted down from his baseball cap. I kissed him lightly on the neck and lay down on his chest, taking in this peaceful moment.

// First update! I'll post another one either tonight or tomorrow! Remember to vote & leave comments! I'm going to make them longer too. //