15.

// Jade //
The car roared into the Greene's farmhouse graveled driveway. Shane put the car in park and I got out. Carol rushed out of the RV and stood in the doorway, waiting to see if her little girl was with us. I slammed the door shut, pushing my hair away from my eyes. Carol sighed, "Anything?" she ask, "Nothin'." Shane said, "I'm sorry. I'll cover some more ground tomorrow." I smiled at her. She nodded, "What happened out there?" Dale ask, "the place was overrun. Walkers everywhere." I said, giving Carol a half-smile, "Let's go get you cleaned up." she said, leading me away from Shane and Dale.

Glenn and I were walking along the perimeter of the farm, "So, uh, I kinda told Dale about the farm and Lori." he blurted out, "You did not!" I said, stopping in my tracks, "I'm sorry. I can't keep my mouth shut!" he said, taking the words from my mouth, "Dale talked to Hershel. He just wants everyone to leave it be." Glenn said. I nodded, not even caring that he told.

We all sat around the fire, the food being passed around. I saw Maggie on the porch, staring me down. Then I looked to Dale, who nodded at me. I sucked in a breath and stood up, walking over to Daryl. I stood by him, "Guys. I need to talk to y'all." I said, perching pretty much on Daryl. Everyone looked up at me, "The barn is full of walkers." When I said that, everything went silent.
-------
"You cannot tell me you're all right with this." Shane growled, marching away from the barn door, "No, I'm not, but we're guests here. This isn't our land." Rick said, remaining in his place. The whole group was lined up in front of the barn, just watching the situation happen, "This is our lives, man!" Shane's voice became louder, "Lower your voice!" Glenn said to Shane, who rolled his eyes in return, "We can't just sweep this under the rug." Andrea said, her arms crossed, "It ain't right. Not remotely." T-Dog said, taking a good look at all of us, "Okay. We've either got to go in there, we've got to make things right or we've just got to go. Now we have been talking about Fort Benning for a long time." here Shane goes again about Fort Benning, "We can't go!" Rick's voice was rough and cracking. I glanced at Lori and she gave me the knowing look. She told Rick, "Why, Rick? Why?" Shane ask, "Because my daughter is still out there." Carol spoke up from the back. Shane mumbled some 'okays' and put his hands to his mouth, an evident smile on his face, "Okay, I think it's time that we all just start to just consider the other possibility." I cut him off, "We're not leaving Sophia behind!" I stepped up to him, feeling either Glenn or Daryl's hand on my arm, "I'm close to finding this girl. I just found her damn doll two days ago." Daryl said, pushing me aside, "You found her doll, Daryl." Shane's voice cracked, "That's what you did. You found a doll!" I saw anger shoot through Daryl's eyes, "You don't know what the hell you're talking about!" Daryl swiped his arm at Shane, "I'm just saying what needs to be said!" Shane was shouting. Rick and I stepped between the two, "You get a good lead, it's in the first 48 hours!" Shane's voice continued to rise, "Shane, stop." Rick said to him, but the shouting continued, "Let me tell you something else, man. If she was alive out there and saw you coming all methed out with your buck knife and geek ears around your neck, she would run in the other direct-" before he could finish, I stepped up, "That's my damn brother, Shane!" I was going for a swing, but Rick pushed me away. Shane moved toward me, "What're you gonna do, little girl?!" he was shouting, "I'll show you!" I screamed, knocking Rick out of the way. Shouting and struggling went on for a brief moment, "BACK OFF!" Rick shouted, "Keep your hands off me." Shane pointed at Lori after she tried to pull him back, "Now just let me talk to Hershel." Rick said. My breathing was heavy from anger as Daryl and Glenn stood beside me, preventing me from attacking Shane, "You should've let me handle it." Daryl whispered to me, "Let me figure it out." Rick said to Shane, who was stomping away in the other direction. He stopped abruptly and was marching back Rick's way, "What are you gonna figure out?!" Shane shouted it Rick's face. Lori pushed Shane away, "Enough!" She shouted, backing away from him, "If we're gonna stay, if we're gonna clear this barn, I have to talk him into it. This is his land!" Rick pointed at the barn, "Hershel sees those things in there as people--Sick people--His wife, his stepson." Dale said to the group, "You knew?" Shane ask, "Yesterday I talked to Hershel." Dale nodded at Rick, ignoring Shane, "And you waiting the night?" Shane approached him, "I thought we could survive one more night." Dale said, obviously in distress. I folded my arms across my chest and allowed Glenn to hold me against his chest, "I was waiting till this morning to say something. But Jade wanted to be the one." everyone gave me a quick glance making me automatically raise my hand to my mouth and bite on my finger nail, "The man is crazy, Rick." Shane said, "If Hershel thinks those things are alive or no!" the chains on the barn door rattled, and the groans became raucous. Everyone backed away from the barn, watching and waiting for the door to break, yet it never did.
---------
"Maggie. Maggie, just listen to me." I found Maggie in the chicken coop, gathering eggs. She went out the door and slammed it shut. I sighed and met her around the side, "Hey." I said, only maintaining eye contact for a second or two, "Maggie!" I slightly yelled, causing her to stop and look at me, "I'm sorry. Hit me. Right here-" I patted my shoulder blade. She sat her basket of eggs down and walked over to me, hitting me fairly hard, "Feel better?" I ask as I moved my shoulder around, trying to get feeling back in it, "Much better." she smiling before walking away.
"Hey!" I smiled up at Glenn, placing my hand in front of my eyes to block the sun, "Hey, you!" he beamed down at me, "Mind if I come up?" I ask, walking over to the ladder, "Nope. I don't mind at all." he smiled, taking his seat with the gun in his lap. My clothes were already damp from sweat. Dale walked through past the RV as soon as I got up the ladder. Glenn stood, "Andrea's lookin' for you!" he called down to Dale, "Alright, thanks." Dale nodded up to us, "Any chance you got an extra hat?" Glenn cracked a smile, "Nope." Dale said, taking his off. I smiled and watched Glenn catch it, "Thanks." he said, putting it on his head as Dale entered the RV. Glenn settled back in the chair, then looked at me. He patted his lap, where I gladly took a seat, "You're so light." he laughed, positioning the gun upright beside the chair. I smiled, "Glenn. I-" I stopped myself before I could go any farther into the conversation, "I forgot what I was gonna say." I lied, faking a laugh. In reality, I was freaking out. I needed to tell him, but I wanted to be 100% sure. I missed my last period. I glanced over to see Andrea walking out of the RV, "You okay?" I shouted down to Dale, "Yeah. You two mind running and getting me some water?" Dale called up to us, "I just-- I need a second." his voice got quiet, "You'll keep watch?" Glenn yelled down to him. He didn't answer, "Dale?" I repeated, "Yeah. Sure." it was barely audible.