14.

// Jade //
It was painfully quiet as everyone ate the dinner we had prepared. I was sitting beside Glenn, "Does anybody know how to play guitar?" he said, breaking the silence, "Dale found a cool one. Somebody's gotta know how to play." Glenn said after no one answered, "Otis did." Patricia said, "Yes, and he was very good, too." Hershel agreed. I knew he wasn't too happy about us being here. I rose from my seat and fixed Daryl a plate. I nodded to Carol and walked toward his room. The door creaked open and he turned to see who had entered the room, "How ya feeling?" I ask, sitting the plate of food on the side table, "'Bout as good as I look." he ask, tucking himself inside the sheet, "I brought you some dinner. You must be starving." I smiled, watching him carefully, "Thanks, Jade." he said, sitting up, "I'm gonna go help clean up." I said, planting a kiss on his forehead, "Alright. Be good. Love you, Jay." he said, then stuffed his mouth full.
After washing the dishes, I walked outside and to Daryl's tent. As I was walking I thought I heard a walker. I walked out in the field and saw one wandering towards the barn, I grabbed my machete and walked over to it. I unsheathed my machete and sliced it in half. Then I heard more walkers. A ton of them. They were all in the barn..
------
I didn't sleep that night. I sat outside Daryl and I's tent and watched the barn closely. By the time the sun rose, my eyes were dried out. Maggie walked up to me, "Um, why are you looking at the barn?" she ask, sitting down the basket of clothes, "I know about the walkers, Maggie." I said, checking around me for people, "... What?" she hesitated, glancing from me to the barn, "You weren't supposed to see that." she said. I stared at the barn for a moment, "Could you make it more obvious?" she said, knocking me from my gaze. I sighed, "I gotta tell my people." I said, putting my hands on my hips, "Will you please tell me why your dad has a secret barn full of walkers?" I ask, "Shh." she said, putting her fingers to her lips, "Just trust me on this, okay?" she said, looking at me, "I'm not the best at keeping big secrets. I'm already keeping one." I said, chewing on her lip, "You have to keep this to yourself. You have to." Maggie took a good look at me, then left.

I saw Lori walking towards me, and I stopped her, "So, what did Rick say?" I ask her. She was silent, so I knew the answer, "You didn't tell him?!" I said in a low whisper, "Okay, but you have to." I whispered to her quietly, "You're pregnant, Lori. You need vitamins, medicine, a nice pillow!" I said random baby-related things. I reached in my bag and grabbed a share of food, handing it to her, "Honey, I don't want your food, okay? Eat." she said, not taking my offer, "You need to eat! You're too skinny!" I said, trying my best to get her to take the food, "If you're not gonna let Rick take care of you, then someone has to!" I say, but she continues to ignore me and work with the fire, "Lori. " I say, stepping in front of her, "You have a medical condition." I said, making her tilt her head and smile a little, "I'll make another run into town, just tell me what you need." I said, glancing behind me, "I need you to be quiet about this." she said, giving me a stern look. I nodded, then walked away.
"Glenn, I'm gonna tell you something that you can't tell anyone." I said to Glenn. He nodded, sitting beside me on an old fireplace, "The barn is full of walkers, and Lori is pregnant." I said, watching the look on his face as he glanced to the barn, then to Lori. He sighed and took his baseball hat off, ran a hand through his hair, and nodded.

I stood with Rick, Shane, and Jimmy. Glenn had just delivered us peaches and had kissed me goodbye. Beth and Patrica walked up to us, "We would like to join you for gun training today." Beth said sweetly, "Hershel's been very clear. I can't involve any of you in what we do without his okay." Rick said, squinting due to the sun, "He doesn't like it, but he consented." Beth said, "Otis was the only one who knew guns. Now that he's gone, we gotta learn to protect ourselves." Patrica said, not a crack in her voice when she spoke of Otis, "No offense, but I'll ask Hershel myself." Rick said, nodding to the women and walking away.

I was aiming for the 'O' in the no trespassing sign when Rick and Shane walked up to me, "Now, don't get discouraged if you don't hit the target. You'll hit it eventually." Shane said. I smiled, "I hit my target." I said, watching Shane and Rick see the three bullet holes in the middle of the sign. Rick smiled at me and nodded, as did Shane, "Try this one. It's heavy." he handed me a larger gun, "You get better balance, twice the rounds." I flipped it my hands, then looked over at Rick, then back to my target. I raised up slowly, noticing everyone was watching me. I took in a deep breath and let it out, then pulled the trigger. It hit the can, knocking it off the fence post. I smiled to myself, "I'd say she's got the hang of it." Shane said, smiling at Rick, "I'd say she's ready for the advanced class." Rick smiled back, "It might be worth your while after the rest of us head back to camp." Rick walked up to me, "Sure. Why not?" I shrugged. Rick walked off, "How's it feeling?" Shane ask, "I like the weight." I said, holding it in my hand. It dawned on me when I realized who my instructor would be after we left. Shane.