22.

// Jade //

It had been months, and the wounds were healed now. My hair is to my waist now, and I had encountered a few people. I still think about Daryl and Glenn, and the group. I walked into a store and looked around, seeing nothing. Winter had passed and it was at least 90 degrees out. I looked around the store and sat the backpack down and changed out of my clothes and into some new ones I found inside the store. I stuffed my other clothes inside my bag and grabbed a few cans of corn and ate the remaining can of my beans with a small drink of water before I left the store and got back on the trail of the group.

-----------

"Come on." I challenged a walker that had snuck up behind me. I held my knife tightly as I walked forward and ended its life. I cleaned the blade on my shorts and kept on going. The group wasn't that far away now, and it felt like I could practically be on them. I followed the side of the road, looking for fresh tracks. I looked up and saw a group of cars a few yards ahead of me. I smiled and squinted to make sure it was them. I saw Carl up ahead on point. Just as I started to run toward them, I saw Carl turn his attention on me, "STOP." I heard people shouting at me with their guns raised.
I put my hands up, "IT'S JADE. WHERE'S DARYL! GLENN!?" I yelled, causing them to drop your weapons. I saw a man with longish black hair jogging toward me with his gun raised. I dropped my stuff once the man came into sight, "Glenn." I whispered, running to him. He lingered for a moment before hugging me tightly. We both pulled away and kissed, happy to be together once more, "God your hair is so long!" he said, "So is yours!" I smiled, "God, I've missed seeing your beautiful face." he said, hugging me again and leading me back into camp. Once we were there, I was surrounded with everyone. Lori was at least 8 or 9 months pregnant and Daryl and Rick weren't here. I sat on the ground and told everyone of my story and how I got here. I heard a rustling coming from the woods when I raised my gun at the moving leaves. Rick and Daryl came out and dead stopped. I dropped my gun on the ground and ran to Daryl, collapsing in his arms.

-----------

Rick was cutting into a fence of a prison, all of us on alert and ready to fight. One after another, Rick ushered us through the gap in the fence, Glenn and Daryl making sure they stuck right with me. Once Rick was in, Glenn and Daryl worked together to tie the fence off. A walker slammed up against the fence just as they got finished. Walkers surrounded all sides of the fence, trapping us. We ran down the seemingly long gravel path until we reached the end, "It's perfect. If we can shut that gate, prevent more from filling the yard, we can pick off these walkers. We'll take the field by tonight." Rick said, "So how do we shut the gate?" Hershel ask, "I'll do it. You guys cover me." Glenn said, squinting against the sun, "No. It's a suicide run." I told Glenn, not wanting him to leave me, "I'm the fastest." Glenn argued with me, "No. You, Maggie, Jade, and Beth draw as many as you can over there. Pop 'em through the fence. Daryl, go back to the other tower. Carol, you've become a pretty good shot. Take your time. We don't have a lot of ammo to waste." Rick said as he looked at Carol sternly. Hershel, you and Carol take his tower." Rick instructed as Daryl kissed me on the forehead and left with Carol, "I'll run for the gate." Rick said, starring down the field. I followed Maggie, Beth, and Glenn to the fence afar off from Rick and yelled for the walkers. I hit the fence, making loud noises. Most of the walkers were attracted. I stabbed them from the fence with my knife and watched them pile up at my feet. Soon enough, the walkers started losing interest in us and went for Rick, "LIGHT IT UP!" I heard Daryl yelling. I pulled my gun and aimed, shooting as many walkers as possible. With a few misses here and there, all the walkers were dead.

-----------

It was night now and Daryl was on watch, his poncho wrapped around him loosely. I focused back on the fire and my foot, "Mmm. Just like mom used to make." Glenn said, eating the leg of some unknown animal. I smiled and finished off my leg as well, throwing the bone on the ground. Glenn finished his as well and slid his arm around my waist, pulling me close to him as if never planning to let me go again, "Tomorrow we'll put all the bodies together. Want to keep them away from that water. Now, if we can dig a canal under the fence, we'll have plenty of fresh water." T-Dog said, "And this soil is good. We could plant some seed, grow some tomatoes, cucumbers, soybeans. " Hershel smiled, "That's his third time around. If there was any part of it compromised, he'd have found it by now. " Hershel said, watching Rick walk around the prisons fence once more, "This'll be a good place to have the baby. Safe. " Beth smiled at Lori. I smiled as well and leaned on Glenn's side, feeling his arms go around my waist.
"Bethy, sing Paddy Reilly for me." Hershel cooed his youngest daughter, "I haven't heard that, I think, since your mother was alive." Hershel smiled, reminiscing on old times, "Daddy, not that one, please." Maggie said, watching her father, "How about 'The Parting Glass'?" he ask her, "No one wants to hear." she whispered to her father, a light blush coming on her face, "Why not?" Glenn said, glancing at me. I gave Beth a smile, "Okay." she gave in, "Of all the money e'er I had, I spent it in good company. And all the harm e'er I've ever done , alas it was to none but me. And all I've done for want of wit, to memory now I can't recall. So fill to me the parting glass, good night and joy be with you all." Beth sang. I smiled to myself as I glanced at Maggie, getting the same idea she did.
When Beth started the next verse, Maggie and I joined in, "Oh, all the comrades that e'er I ever had were sorry for my going away. and all the sweethearts that e'er I had would wish me one more day to stay. But since it falls unto my lot that I should rise and you should not. I'll gently rise and I'll softly call, good night and joy be with you all. Good night and joy be with you all."
It was quiet for a moment as Glenn kissed me softly on the back of my head, "Beautiful." Hershel said. I looked around the fire and saw Daryl and Carol standing behind me while Rick was with Lori. I sighed and let the peacefulness settle in, "Better all turn in. I'll take watch over there. Got a big day tomorrow." Rick said, looking at all of us, "What do you mean?" Glenn ask, moving uncomfortably under me. I rose from Glenn's body to allow him the room to move, "Look, I know we're all exhausted. This was a great win. But we've got to push just a little bit more. Most of the walkers are dressed as guards and prisoners. Looks like this place fell pretty early. It could mean the supplies may be intact. They'd have an infirmary, a commissary." Rick said, killing the pleasantness that once floated through the air, "An armory?" Daryl added, "That would be outside the prison itself, but not too far away. Warden's offices would have info on the location. Weapons, food, medicine. This place could be a gold mine. " Rick ranted on, "We're dangerously low on ammo. We'd run out before we make a dent." Hershel made his point, "That's why we have to go in there... hand to hand." I shifted uncomfortably, "After all we've been through, we can handle it, I know it. These assholes don't stand a chance." Rick motioned to the walkers trying to get to us from the other side of the fences. Rick stood up and started to walk back toward the fence, leaving us behind.

-----------

It was morning now and both Daryl AND Glenn refused to let me come with them. I had just kissed both of them goodbye and told them to be careful, then watched them walk inside the deathtrap. The rest of us were banging on the fence, trying our best to get the walkers attention . No matter what we trying, they went toward Glenn, Daryl, Maggie, T-Dog, and Rick. One finally came over to me and I dug my knife through the fence, "I can't see them. Can you see them?" Lori ask Carol once the 5 of them were out of sight, "Back there." she said, tip-toeing over the fence. They came back into sight in a minute or so. Glenn put his hand out to me to let me know they were okay. I sighed and wiped some sweat from my brow.

A little while later and we were dragging our stuff inside while T-Dog was dragging bodies out, "What do you think?" ask Rick as he walked down some stairs, "Home sweet home." joked Glenn as I followed him inside a cell, "For the time being." Rick continued, "It's secure?" Carol ask, "This cell-block is." Rick nodded, "What about the rest of the prison?" Hershel stepped forward, "In the morning we'll find the cafeteria and the infirmary." Rick said, "We sleep in the cells?" Beth ask, clutching her bags tightly, "I found keys on some guards. Daryl has a set, too." Rick stood in front of us, "I ain't sleepin' in no cage. I'll take the perch." I glanced up at Daryl then I walked back inside the cell Glenn had picked out, "Do you mind if I sleep here?" I ask, leaning against the door frame, "I don't mind at all." he said, sitting his stuff down and engulfing me in a hug, "God, I can't wait to sleep with you in my arms in an actual bed." he fantasized, making me laugh a bit, "I didn't know what to do with myself." I looked up at Glenn as he spoke, "I didn't know if you were dead or alive. I was lost without you. Daryl went back in his shell there for a while after the farm. I think everyone did. We all lost someone back there. Jimmy, Andrea--" he stopped talking and them looked me in the eyes, "I love you. I'm never letting you out of my sight, you know that, right?" he smiled slightly. I nodded and smiled, "I know." I said. He leaned down to kiss me, to which I returned the favor.