24.

// Jade //

Glenn and Carol had went outside to do something while I was left here with Hershel. Maggie had asked for a moment alone, in which we all complied. Beth stayed outside the door while Lori and I went back to my cell. We were in the midst of talking about her baby when we heard Beth screaming for help. I rushed in and saw Hershel lying there, not breathing. Lori rushed past me, pushing Beth away. She put her head to his chest and listened. She rose up and opened his mouth. I pulled her away, knowing that if he died, he would turn at any second. She nodding understandingly and moved aside. I blew my remaining breath into Hershel's lungs and pumped his chest. Counting to five, I blew my breath into his lungs again, but before I could pull away, Hershel jumped to life, grabbing me with both his hands. I felt people trying to pull me away, but I knew I was a goner. All of a sudden a pair of arms pulled me away from his strong grip and I looked at him expecting to see a walker.
But he was not a walker.
I put a hand to my heart while breathing heavily and watched Hershel fall back asleep. Maggie, Lori, and Beth were all holding onto me tightly. All four of us were breathing heavily, trying to grasp what just happened.
I heard keys being jingled as I sat by Hershel, my head in my hands, "Hershel stopped breathing." I heard Carl say, "Jade saved him." I rolled my eyes, "It's true." I heard Glenn whisper. Rick walked inside, "Still no fever." I said, looking at Hershel curiously. Rick patted my shoulder, then did the same to Beth and Maggie before walking over. He stood atop Hershel. Hershel's mouth moved slightly and everyone crowded around him. Maggie leaned in close, but nothing else followed. After a moment, his eyes began to flutter open, "Dad?" Maggie said with a cry. Hershel's eyes darted around for a moment, "Daddy!" Beth snuck under Maggie's arm with a wide smile locking onto her father. Rick didn't hesitate to unlock Hershel's handcuffs. I smiled at the sight. Hershel raised his hand up to Rick. Rick smiled and took Hershel's hand in his, dropping to the floor beside the old man. Beth was crying, as was Maggie. I sighed and got up, walking out of the cell and into my own.

I returned to my thoughts. The last time was a false alarm, but this time I think is different. Weight gain, tiredness, swollen feet, and even morning sickness. I lay back on the bed and rolled up my shirt, noticing the small bulge growing on my usually-thin stomach. I sighed and rubbed it, noting that it wasn't mushy. It was like a hard ball. I got frustrated and slammed my fist into the wall, pulling my shirt back down. I got up and walking inside the cell with Hershel, noticing Rick had gone. I tapped Lori on the shoulder, "Can I talk to you?" I ask, taking a quick glance at Glenn. His eyebrows knotted together, "Everything okay?" he whispered to me. I smiled and nodded, "Yeah. Just need a woman's advice." I said, catching a glare from Daryl. Lori followed me inside my cell and sat down, "What's up?" she ask, putting her hands between her thighs, "I, uh. God this is hard." I said, mainly to myself. I felt her hand on mine, "I think I'm pregnant." I whispered. She looked at me for a moment, "I've been feeling tired, my feet are swollen. I've gained weight and I get sick EVERY morning!" I said, explaining to her why I thought I was. She nodded, "I've even got a small bump on my stomach." I whispered, "Let me see." she said. I nodded, getting up to stand across from the bed. I raised up my shirt, completely forgetting about the scars. Lori looked surprised, but then focused on what was important. She pressed on it slightly in different places, "How long have you had those symptoms?" she ask me, "Since before I found you guys on the road." I said, putting a hand on my forehead, "Well, Jade. I think you're pregnant. I'm no expert, but those are the same symptoms I had AND this small bump is defiantly a baby." she smiled. I groaned, "What's wrong?" she ask, her smile fading, "I can't raise a child!" I said in a low whisper, "You got it. Are you going to tell Glenn?" she ask. I nodded, "I'll tell Daryl first." I nodded, biting on my fingernail, "Can you send Daryl in here and make sure no one else hears?" I ask her. She nodded, "Of course." she nodded, putting a hand on my knee before getting up to walk away. Not a moment later, Daryl came inside, "What is it?" he ask, rushing over to me, "Promise me you won't freak out?" I ask, grabbing hold of his hand. He nodded slowly. I took in a deep breath, "I'm pregnant." he sat there for a moment before getting up, ripping his hand out of my own, "GLENN!" his voice was ridged, "Daryl!" I said, grabbing and pulling his arm back. Glenn's head peaking around the doorway, "Get in here, boy!" Daryl motioned with his crossbow, "Tell him, Jade!" Daryl shouted, "I'm pregnant." I said with my voice small, "What?" Glenn ask, glancing from Daryl to me, "You got my little sister pregnant, Glenn." Daryl said, obviously more calm than he had been, "That's my little sister. Now you listen to me. If she gets hurt in ANY way, I will NOT hesitate to kill you." Daryl pointed at Glenn. Glenn nodded and watched Daryl storm out. He stood there, awe-struck for a moment, "You're pregnant?" he ask, running a hand through his hair. I nodded, looking at my feet. Before I knew it I was in the air with Glenn kissing me and smiling. He pulled me onto the bed and lay down next to me. He placed his hand on my stomach, "So what names do you have in mind?" He smiled, making me smile in return.