12.

// Jade //
As I let Daryl lead me into the RV, I caught my first glimpse at Andrea. Her lip was swollen, as well as below her eye. I pulled away from Daryl and walked over to her, "I'm sorry, Andrea." I said to her, blowing a piece of hair out of my face, "It's okay. I was acting immature." she smiled at me. I pushed the same piece of hair away from my eye with my good hand as I let Daryl sit me down at the table, "Daryl. Will you put my hair up. I kinda can't." I said, handing him my hair bow, "I don't know how to do that!" he said, examining my hand. I sighed and pushed the hair away from my face. Andrea got up from the small bed in the back of the RV and walked over, "Here. I'll put it up." I smiled my thanks and handed her my hair bow. She tied it up in a ponytail as Daryl poured water on my hand. I made a fist with my good hand as I let him wrap it.

It was at least midnight as Andrea and I sat in the booth, talking, "Jade... If you don't mind me asking, what happened?" she ask. I knew exactly what she was talking about, "It's stupid. I overreacted, acted immature. Glenn was talking to this other girl and flirting with her. She was doing the same. He didn't know I was watching. I got pissed and left." I said, shaking my head at how stupid it sounded coming out of my mouth, "I never got close to anybody like I was to him. It just hurt me a lot, I guess." I said, looking down at my wrapped hand. She shook her head, "Men are stupid." she whispered, due to Daryl being close. I laughed a bit and leaned back into the seat, "I'm gonna go to sleep." she said, leaning back as well, "Me too." I said, curling up in the seat, "Night." she said to me, "Goodnight." I replied, now thankful for her being here.
It was morning, and we were heading back to Hershel's. I groaned as Dale ask me a lot of questions. I answered them and let Daryl unwrap my hand. I almost screamed at the pain, "It's infected. Needs stitches, too." he said, "I'm gonna kill Glenn." he growled, wrapping it up in fresh gauze, "You don't go anywhere near him!" Daryl said to me with a stern tone, "Fine, you don't either!" I scoffed at him. He nodded, then got up. Andrea walked over to me, "Here," she said, handing me a pile of clothes, "These are mine. Figured you might want some new clothes." she said, "Thanks!" I said, jumping to the bathroom. I splashed my face with water and changed quickly. Andrea's clothes fit me perfectly. I left my hair in the ponytail and walked out. I took a small drink of water from the remaining supply and walked out. We had set up a place for Sophia if she came back to the highway. Carol was tucked away in the RV, probably crying again. I felt the remorseful feeling settle in again as looked at the stuff we were leaving for the girl. I sighed and walked over to Daryl, "Can I drive the motorcycle?" I ask him with a smile on my face, "Jade," he started, "Yay! Thanks, Daryl!" I tip-toed and kissed his cheek and walked over to the motorcycle. I started it up and took off, leading the way to Hershel's.
I parked the motorcycle in the front yard. Everyone had gathered around to watch us, "How is he?" Dale ask Lori and Rick, "He'll pull through." she said. I smiled at this, "Thanks to Hershel and his people." Lori glanced around, "And Shane. We'd have lost Carl if not for him." Rick said, smiling. Dale walked over to Rick and hugged him. Carol hugged Lori while Andrea walked over to me, "We'll just stand here and be awkward." I said, laughing, "How'd it happen?" Dale ask again, "Hunting accident. That's all- Just a stupid accident." Rick smiled. I walked away from Andrea and over to Hershel, "I'm sorry, I know this is a bad time, but can you look at my hand?" I ask him, "Sure, Jade." he gave me a smile and lead me into the house.
------
We placed rocks on the grave for Otis. I walked over to a place and stood, Glenn walking over and standing beside me, "Jade, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to flirt with her!" Glenn pleaded, whispering to me, "I don't need you, Glenn. Take her, cause you already lost me." I walked away from Glenn and to the other side of the circle where Daryl was. He looked at Glenn and popped his neck. Glenn sighed and looked down, "Blessed be God, father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Praise be to Him for the gift of our Brother Otis, for his span of years, for his abundance of character; Otis, who gave his life to save a child's, now more than ever, our most precious asset. We thank you, God, for the peace he enjoys in your embrace. He died as he lived; in grace." I was near tears at these words, even though I didn't know Otis, "Shane, will you speak for Otis?" Hershel turned to him, "I'm not good at it. I'm sorry." Shane said, looking at the ground, "You were the last one with him." Came a voice, "You shared his final moments. Please. I need to hear. I need to know his death had meaning. " her voice cracked as she let out a sob, "We were about done. Almost out of ammo. We were down to pistols by then. I was limping, it was bad. Ankle all swollen up. "We've got to save the boy." That's what he said. He gave me his backpack, he shoved me ahead. "Run," he said. He said, "I'll take the rear. I'll cover you." And when I looked back..." Shane stopped and looked at her. Shane limped forward, "If not for Otis," he paused and scooped a rock from the wheelbarrow, "I'd never made it out alive. And that goes for Carl, too. It was Otis. He saved us both." Shane placed the rock on the pile, "If any death ever had meaning, it was his." the lady I presumed to be his wife nodded a thanks to him.
--------
We were all gathered around the jeep. Maggie jogged up with a map, "County survey map. Shows terrain and elevations." she said, spreading it across the hood. I stood beside Daryl, Shane on the other side of me. I didn't know if I should forgive Shane or not... It was a confusing topic, "This is perfect. We can finally get this thing organized." Rick said, examining the map, "We'll grid the whole area, start searching in teams." Rick explained, glancing at me, "Not you. Not today." Hershel said, "I'm not too sure about Jade, either. Rick gave three units of blood. Jade gave one, but she did it on an empty stomach and ran off. No food in her body." Hershel said, looking from me to Rick, "You wouldn't be hiking five minutes in his heat before passing out." He explained. Then he looked at Shane, "And your ankle-- Push it now, you'll be laid up for a month, no good to anybody." Shane sighed, "Guess it's just me." Daryl said, shifting his weight, "I'm gonna head back to the creek, work my way from there." he pointed on the map, "I can still be useful," Shane said, "I'll drive up to the interstate. See of Sophia wandered back." I nodded at this plan, "All right, tomorrow then. We'll start doing this right." before anyone walked off, I spoke up, "No offense, but I'm the one who caused her to get lost. I want to help." I said, gathering everyone's attention, "How about you come on a run with me today. Gather supplies?" the women who spoke those words shocked me. Maggie. I nodded, "Sure. We gotta talk anyway." I mumbled, leaning against the jeep, "We can't just have our people out there with just knives." I sighed, "They need the gun training we've been promising them." I said, my rifle on my back as well as my machete, "I'd prefer you not carrying guns on my property." Hershel said, glancing at all of us, "We've managed so far without turning this into an armed camp. " Hershel said, a sad sound in his voice, "All due respect, you get a crowd of those things wandering in here..." Shane got cut off, "Look, we're guests here. This is your property and we will respect that." Rick gave Shane a hard look. Rick laid his gun on the hood, then Shane followed, "You've got to be kidding me." I said, giving a sarcastic smile as I lay down my rifle. My hand sweat under the gauze as I watched everyone lay their guns down, "First things first: Set camp, find Sophia." Rick said, "I hate to be the one to ask, but somebody's got to... What happens if we find her and she's bit?" I drew in a sharp breath at Shane's words, "I think we should all be clear on how we handle that." he said. It was quiet for a moment, "You do what has to be done." Rick said, looking down, "And her mother? What do you tell her?" Maggie ask, a dumbfound look on her face, "The truth." Andrea spoke up, "I'll gather and secure all the weapons." Shane said, pushing himself off the hood, "Make sure no one's carrying 'till we're at a practice range off site. I do request a rifleman on lookout." Shane put his hand on the hood, tapping it slightly. Hershel was quiet, "Our people would feel safer, less inclined to carry a gun." Hershel nodded silently, "Thank you." Rick granted, "That stuff you brought. Got more antibiotics, bandages, anything like that?" Maggie ask Rick, "Just what you've seen." I said, "Well, we will make a run to town-" Maggie got cut off, "The place Shane went?!" Rick ask, "No, a small town. Just a mile away. I've done it before, but I've got Jade to go with me." she nodded to me. Her father starred me down, as if evaluating me, "You two be careful." Hershel said. I nodded to him, putting my fingers in my belt loops, "I'll go saddle the horses." she nodded to me. I nodded back, then looked up at Glenn who was looking at me with wandering eyes. I strutted past him, walking over to Daryl, "Hey. I'm going on a run." I told him, "Where?" he ask, cleaning his arrows, "A small town. I'll be back soon."I said, "Want my crossbow? You ain't got your gun, so-" I cut him off, "I have my machete. Love you, Dar." I said, walking off and toward the stable.