Arc 3 Tidmouth bound

Over the hills and valleys we crossed, Sodor was beautiful. There were towns, farmlands, rivers, streams, forests and green plains. 

Eventually we pulled into a small unnamed station. The wind here was quite brisk. Off to my right I could see an array of switch tracks and another turntable. On the other side of the turntable was a large shed with six births going inside. There was a large engine sleeping in the third birth. He was blue like Edward but he was much larger and had six drive wheels. I couldn't see his number though, as his tender was tucked away within the shadows of the shed. 

"I'm guessing you use that shed over there for resting Edward?" I assumed. 

"Yes, that's correct. Tidmouth sheds is where all of the mainline engines can get some rest between jobs." Edward explained 

"Where do I go from here?" I asked. 

"Over to that shed on the far right." Edward responded, I met his gaze. Over on the far side of the yard was a smaller three lane open door shed. Several trucks and vans were protruding out the front. There was also a single line of coaches on the furthest line back. "Why such a small shed? It can barely house all those trucks and coaches as is." I said, deeply puzzled.

Edward paused for a moment before replying, considering his words. "George, hear me out. On a railway, we all have our parts to play. You trucks help the railway carry loads and the coaches help carry passengers to fulfill contracts and make money. Without you trucks and coaches, us engines and more over the whole railway wouldn't be able to operate. And without us engines, you couldn't move about. Thus no contracts." Edward's words felt eye opening, it was only then I realized that the only function I could perform on my own, other than speaking, and carrying loads, was to slow myself to a stop. Wait why would I be made with only one function in mind? Is that really all I can do? How am I supposed to prove I'm useful if I can only stop myself? 

"To answer your question..." Edward continued, "Us engines are more complex and more intricate to repair and maintain. Thus we are given better care and living conditions. The NWR's passenger and freight cars aren't as hard to repair, thus most of the time you'll end up sleeping outside. Do you understand what I'm getting at, George?" Edward finished. I didn't respond at first, still taking it all in. 

"George?" Edward pressed, 

"O-oh, yeah I think so. I think so," I said stuttered. Truthfully I only partially knew what he meant. I was still coming to terms with my limitations. No wonder why most of the tests were so easy, for the most part I did nothing.

Edward and I were uncoupled. The rest of the train was left on the platform while Edward pushed me over to the goods shed. 

"Cheer up," Edward peeped, "Things will get better if you embrace them with positivity." That made me feel a little better. Even though I was facing away from Edward, I felt he could tell I was smiling. 

"Thanks" I said quietly,

 "no problem at all." Edward returned, "Welcome to Sodor, George" and with that, Edward puffed away.

It grew quiet in the yard, peaceful. With not much to do, I began to think. I wondered about Sodor and what I'd be doing here, my purpose. The thoughts and doubts about my purpose were especially loud. Is my one true purpose in life just to carry goods and use my brakes every once in a while? Do I even get to "do" anything? What does carrying a load even feel like? For that I was most curious.

"Hey, Pinocchio!" someone called, snapping me out of my thoughts. Off to my right was an orange truck staring at me. "You from the fresh batch?" asked the truck. I didn't know what he meant. My face must've said as much, because the truck rolled his eyes, "Are you new?" The truck asked, irritated.