Arc 10 Agreed?

Late one night, roughly two months after the mail train robbery, I found myself being shunted around Tidmouth by the Black Weasel. I was to be part of one of the local mail runs, despite being an open roofed wagon. 

I found myself to be the last one added, thus being the last one in the yard. 

I took a chance. As Diesel was about to buffer up to me, I turned my brakes hard on. Diesel halted his progress, seeing straight through my ploy. He waited for me to release my brakes but I wouldn't. A few minutes passed and the weasel lost patience. He glared. "What?" He asked in his oily tone. I plucked up courage, a bit taken aback by his intuition. "I'd like to ask you something." There was a pause, the Diesel's brow furrowed, "Well? Get on with it." 

I cleared my throat, "You're in affiliation with the Blue Jays, are you not?" The diesel stared, "I'm afraid you're mistaken, I'm just-" 

"You provided them with territory to vandalize. Not only that, you aided them in that mail train robbery two months back. By providing them with the time and location the mail was scheduled to arrive." I concluded, the diesel's eyes narrowed. 

"You're barking up the wrong tree, pal. If you're gonna waste my time with false accusations I might as well send you on the next scrap train to Peel Godred." Diesel retorted. I lowered my voice, "That goods shed on the mainline, the one that was vandalized. You were there, weren't you, Diesel?" 

Diesel scofted, "What makes you believe that, you little runt?" I cracked a grin, "Because this little runt was there, Diesel. I heard you. You and your Jays were making such a ruckus... Thanking you for 'the treat,' discussing plans, such as attacking say, mail trains?" Diesel remained silent, "And it just got me thinking. What's a diesel shunter such as yourself doing with a bunch of human thieves like them? What does an engine get out of such a relationship?" I asked jovially. Diesel closed his eyes and took a deep breath, "I am not, nor have I ever been,  involved with the misdeeds of ruffians." He said coldy. I chuckled, "Do I need to bring up that blue paint splotch on your driver's cab?"

The diesel's eyes met mine, filled with embarrassment and irritation to have been found out by a measly truck. "So what if I have? What say you? You gonna turn me in or something?" The diesel asked with a scowl, "I wish to make a deal." I stated. Diesel's face softened, then he chuckled, "Heh, a deal? With a truck? Why would I-" 

"Because unless you want to spend time at the smelters, you'll listen to what I have to say!" I boomed. The diesel smirked, finding this whole thing somehow amusing. I released a deep sigh,

"Now, I'm in the need of some information. You organize the majority of the trains that come through this yard, no?" Diesel's brow furrowed again. "To do so, your crew would need a copy of the times table, correct?" I pressed, the diesel grew suspicious, "What the hell is this?" 

My gaze narrowed, "You will have your 'flock' steal me a copy of the timetable, you do this for me and your secret remains as one." Diesel at last lost patience, "So it's blackmail then?" He scoffed, I chuckled. "I guess you could call it that, but I prefer to see this as a mutually beneficial trade off. Your Jays continue to have their fun, and I get my information. Simple." 

The diesel looked uncertain, "And who'd believe you if I refused? Who'd believe in a what a lone troublesome little truck like you has to say?" He made a good point, us trucks have the reputation to be liars, manipulators and troublemakers. 

"What do you think Diesel? Do you think it impossible for engines to not accept, or at the very least, consider the words of us trucks? Regardless whether they're truthful or not? Do you not believe that there can be peace between us? That we can forge a perfect world where everyone is truthful and trustworthy to eachother, friends even? Sure sounds nice doesn't it? I'm sure someone would be willing to listen, not everybody is as untrustworthy towards us as you may believe. Thus it would be just as easy to lie to them if we keep this secret." Diesel's eyes darted back, to see if anyone could chime in to help him, but there was no one. The yard was empty, I continued, "You'd be surprised how many lies people are told on a day to day basis. Day in, day out. Not only that, you'd be surprised how many lies we tell ourselves. Day in and day out. Lies like, our lives have value, that the work we do helps others, that there is a God, and an afterlife. Do you know why we tell ourselves these lies? It's because the truth of it all is that none of our lives matter. We are insignificant parts of a great uncontrollable machine, meant to aid those who have already seized the world for themselves. The true reason we lie to ourselves like this is to mask the cold hard truth, for 'peace of mind' if you will. You and I are both cogs in that machine Diesel. Only you feed that machine whilst simultaneously trying to throw a wrench in it. The only difference between you and I, is that you can move yourself of your own free will." 

My words may have sounded like I was venting to him about my existential crisis, more like our existential crisis but I think I got the point across, because Diesel was wide eyed and silent. I sighed, "Now then, you've set up this train to be ransacked tonight, did you not?" I asked. Diesel, who'd lost his words, quickly he found them again. "Th-that's right." I cracked a smile, 

"Well then, I want you to tell your Jays to take down my number. Once they've had their fun, you may tell them about our deal. Once they've collected what I seek, they may share with me the timetable's contents once I'm alone. Anywhere and anytime after dark is fine." I finished. Diesel, face scrunched up, "Anything else your majesty?" My expression turned stern, "Yes, as far as anyone is aware, we've never met." I concluded, unlocking my brakes.