Arc 13 Confusion and Delay

I waited patiently in the yards outside of Tidmouth for any drop of news. At one point I heard a lot of police sirens, I also spotted Bear rushing into the yards, grabbing the breakdown crane and leaving. I silently chuckled under my breath. Had it worked?

Later that evening, all of the mainline engines returned to the sheds, all but one. From where I was positioned, I could see everyone in the shed without drawing attention to myself. 

A shiny blue car pulled up alongside the sheds. A round man in a suit and top hat stepped out from the car, and walked slowly over to the engines. Although I only assumed, this man was the controller of the NWR, Sir Stephen Topham Hatt. He looked pale. 

"Good evening engines." He started, "For those who have missed the news, there have been several major accidents across the island today." The engines listened carefully, as did I. "James came off at Maron, colliding with your runaway goods, Edward." The engines' gazes fell on Edward, 

"I was coming the opposite way, my trucks broke away on the hill." Edward explained. Gordon scoffed, "How very like you Edward. An engine at your age can't handle a few trucks." The engines all shouted at Gordon to be quiet. Secretly I'd been chuckling to myself. This is too good! 

"QUIET!" Boomed the Fat Hat. "Regardless of how Edward's train broke away, there are more pressing matters. James is critical." The engines gasped. 

"How bad?" Asked Henry, 

"I'll spare you the details but he'll need a complete overhaul if he's to run again." There was a long, dreadful silence. 

The Fat Controller spared the details, but I won't. James was found on his side, dome squashed, funnel cracked, and stabbed through the boiler multiple times by the rusted metal from Louis' scrappers. 

"James' crew should be alright but..." Sir Topham Hatt paused, removing his top hat, "Edward's guard was found dead at the scene of the accident." More silence, along with a few gasps. This news was something for me too. I had considered the fact that with such a large accident, someone would get hurt or worse. But now that it actually happened, it was a tad unsettling. 

"I heard Mavis was hurt too?" asked Bear, The Fat Controller nodded. "She came off just before the 'tightrope,' she'll be back to work within a few days." The engines breathed a sigh of relief.

After the Fat Controller left, the engines began discussing the accidents more openly. "This can't be a mere coincidence." Edward started, "Sure Mavis' accident could've just been the normal mischief we get from the trucks, but this?" 

"This was no accident," Henry finished. Gordon looked to Edward doubtfully, "What are you suggesting?" He asked. Edward paused, considering his next words. 

"Like Henry said, this was no ordinary accident. It's too precise, too well timed. This was a planned sabotage." Said Edward gravely. Diesel, who had been silent this whole time, glanced over in my direction. I simply looked away, playing aloof. 

"Are you suggesting that there's someone behind this 'sabotage?' If we are to call it that?" Diesel asked. 

"Precisely" replied Edward. "Whoever this chess player is, they somehow knew that both trains would've had to pass each other on Gordon's hill. Providing the opportunity for disaster."

"And by knowing that," Added Bear, "He or she was able to convince the trucks from both of your trains to go through with this plan of theirs. That's why Edward's train didn't stop on it's own." 

Gordon harrumphed. "If anything, I believe this 'chess player' if you will, has to be one of the railwaymen. Think about it, who else would have access to our timetable?" The engines pondered. 

"But then, if Mavis' accident is connected to the mainline incident, then how did the chess player convince so many trucks from so many stations all at once? And why would the trucks listen to a stand alone worker?" Henry pointed out. The engines thought hard, At last Edward spoke up. 

"I'd say this chess player didn't work alone. He has to have some form of connection to some of the workmen, yet he seems very influential amongst the trucks as well." Edward paused, considering the weight of his words. "It's not that I want to believe this to be true, but it's possible that the person behind this attack, could be one of us." 

Henry let off steam, "Edward! You can't possible think that we'd attack one of our own." 

"Of course not!" Edward retorted, "I am simply stating a possibility. A non likely one, but a possibility none the less. Besides, I'm not just referring to us engines..." His gaze turned to the yards. I pretended to sleep, "Our chess player may be amongst our rollingstock. Again, might!" Said Edward. 

Bear cleared his throat, "Not to alter the subject but I was thinking, what was the intent behind this attack? Was it a message, or a means to an end?"

"In any case", Gordon interrupted, "I'd say we sleep on it. We have a long day of work ahead of us tomorrow, repairing the main and branch line. Especially now that we're down an engine." The engines all agreed, "Let us hope James recovers soon." Edward said quietly. One by one, the mainline engines drifted off to sleep.

I couldn't help myself from silently chuckling, my plan had worked! Since I'm currently not on any assignment, I'll be first in line to go up the Little Western and finally meet Scruffey! With one last look over the sheds, I could see Diesel, staring at me. He snickered, cracked a grin, and slowly rolled backed into the sheds. He knew I was involved, though it did him no good. Me knowing his involvement in not only the Blue Jay's mail raids but also my ballast heist had put us within the same boat whether he liked it or not. If I go down, he'd going down with me.